Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1500 to 2500 rear conversion

Rtallday79
12-12-2005, 11:55 AM
Ok, i have an 01 ram 1500 series, and have already put diesel front springs in from an 02 2500 diesel. I am thinking about changing the front and rear ends to 2500 (8-lug) style. I believe the front will be the same, except for maybe the driveshaft will have to be modified. The rear would be almost the same but i know the 2500 had 3 inch rear springs. Is it easier to change to 2500 rear springs or to adapt the rear and modify the driveshaft? Any info on this would be helpfull. Thanks in advance!!

--------Rich

scoutinkeith
12-19-2005, 08:17 AM
the front should be a bolt in process, but depending on what year axle you get to put in, some of the bolt holes for the controle arms may be diffirent. also, you may need to either get a new pitman arm, or enlarge the hole to accept the 2500 drag link.
for the rear, if you want to use the 2500 springs(which as you mentioned are wider), you'll have to change the spring mounts on the frame. or, you could get some custom springs that are the same width as your current ones(2.5" IIRC), and just put some new perches on the axle.
you can get conversion U-joints that would allow your current 1500 drive shafts to bolt to the new axles. I'm not sure about the front, but I do know that on the 2500 rear axle, the pinion sticks out farther, so you may have to have the shaft made shorter.

Add your comment to this topic!