Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

CEL came on

directory
12-11-2005, 09:57 PM
went out to the parents house tonight. passport drove great. was there for awhile, then went out and started it to let it warm up. no problems yet. was inside for about 20 minutes, came back out and the check engine light was on. the truck sounded like it had a lower idle than usual (don't seem, anyway)

so, being as brave (or stupid) as one can get--i drove it home about 8 miles. no running problems, no idle problems at stoplights or anything. got home, turned it off, then restarted it--no problems. checked gas cap--it seemed tight. checked oil, looks like there is some--may check it later just to be sure.

of course, it's 10pm here and autozone is closed--so i can't check codes. so great, another sleepless night worrying over the truck!

of course--with such a vague discription--i don't expect much, but is there anything else i should be checking? i had the oil changed friday, i'm hoping the yahoos didn't forget something.

1999 passport 3.2l v6 4x4

amigo-2k
12-11-2005, 10:03 PM
If it is not flashing I wouldn't worry about it.

directory
12-11-2005, 10:11 PM
is there a seperate low oil light?

also the temp gauge didn't read abnormal (in the usual normal run range that i always see)

ryan--thanks, you are setting my mind at ease....i may get a little sleep now...

amigo-2k
12-11-2005, 10:37 PM
typically, if the low oil light comes on it is too late. . .

Since you know about the oil usuage on Isuzu's I'm sure you have ben watching your oil every 1k.

no worries.

abilyk
12-12-2005, 07:56 AM
Probably just your EGR needs cleaning.

directory
12-12-2005, 10:00 AM
i'm hoping...

i got under the hood and had to tighten the oil cap about 1 1/2 turns. then i drove it to work this morning. the light is still on..bummer.

off to autozone later to get the codes read....i'll keep you all posted.

directory
12-12-2005, 04:09 PM
went to autozone

p0171 oxygen sensor in bank 1 (or something)

he tried to sell me some lucos fuel cleaner or whatever stuff it is...didn't buy it without checking with you all first--any good? or do i just replace the sensor?

do i have any worries? that was the only code that pulled. i did notice a lower idle--would that cause it?

directory
12-12-2005, 04:13 PM
a search of the fourm answered my questions---bad o2 sensor with cause awkward engine idle.

how hard is it to change?

Canucklehead
12-12-2005, 04:20 PM
a search of the fourm answered my questions---bad o2 sensor with cause awkward engine idle.

how hard is it to change?Not too bad. It's the driver's side pre-cat sensor. Get an O2 sensor socket (or 22mm wrench) and some PB Blaster.

All you have to do is unplug the old sensor, unscrew the old sensor. Anti-seize the new sensor, screw it into the exhaust and plug it in. Unless you have to soak it with PB to loosen it up it takes about 5 minutes to replace.

directory
12-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Not too bad. It's the driver's side pre-cat sensor. Get an O2 sensor socket (or 22mm wrench) and some PB Blaster.

All you have to do is unplug the old sensor, unscrew the old sensor. Anti-seize the new sensor, screw it into the exhaust and plug it in. Unless you have to soak it with PB to loosen it up it takes about 5 minutes to replace.

outstanding. looks like i'm under teh passport this weekend..but then again i did read in a few posts that the p0171 code could also be caused by a bad IMG...ugh! i guess go cheap first, then dread the major expense...

amigo-2k
12-12-2005, 04:31 PM
is your IMG orginal?

directory
12-12-2005, 04:37 PM
is your IMG orginal?

>sigh<....yes.... :frown:

i know, i know...it's gonna be the IMG.... how long can i drive on it before major concerns start to appear? :crying:

i saw in one post to spray break cleaning fluid along the intake sides and listen for the engine to rev up, does this work?

Canucklehead
12-12-2005, 04:39 PM
outstanding. looks like i'm under teh passport this weekend..but then again i did read in a few posts that the p0171 code could also be caused by a bad IMG...ugh! i guess go cheap first, then dread the major expense...You can check to see if it is the O2 sensor by swapping the Pre-cat and Post-cat sensors and see if you get a different code (or no code at all). Additionally, as Ryan pointed out it could be a bad IMG since P0171 isn't really an O2 sensor code per se.

directory
12-12-2005, 04:56 PM
"since P0171 isn't really an O2 sensor code per se."

yeah, i'm starting to gather that as i dig deeper in other posts.... :disappoin

directory
12-12-2005, 04:57 PM
any recommendations for a new IMG? any tough made gaskets out there? heavy duty or what not...

how about o2 sensors, in case that is the problem...just regular bosch ones?

marcre
12-12-2005, 05:07 PM
P0171 was the code I had for a bad IMG. I did change the O2 sensor first, but that did nothing. To get my IMG's replaced it was just under $300. Good luck.

Marc

directory
12-12-2005, 06:52 PM
yup...IMG confirmed. just from what i have read on here, and comparing it to what is going on with the truck. i started it up and had a eratic idle. i'll be taking it in soon.

does it hurt anything else if i drive it the rest of the week?

marcre
12-12-2005, 06:55 PM
My IMG was broken for a while before I got it fixed, but when it got real bad I made the appointment. It became a real chore to drive and somewhat scary. As long as your CEL isn't flashing you should be fine. I'd get to it as soon as you can though.

Marc

directory
12-12-2005, 07:11 PM
yeah, it will go in asap...but i do need to get to work and back though. i'll keep my eye on it.

is there a special aftermarket gasket i can get to make sure this doesn't happen again. a heavy duty brand, or will i need to special order it.

directory
12-13-2005, 09:20 AM
on the way to work this morning, the CEL went off...still idles a bit rough.

i guess the truck is just going to mess with me...i'm still going to get the IMG fixed..one less thing to worry about later.

most likely it will come on again, from what i have read in other posts this is normal.

Add your comment to this topic!