Older or newer?

78typeLT
12-10-2005, 09:25 PM
So...which is better, the early 3 series or the newer 3 series (not including the 2006 models)? I like the older BMW's like from the 80's but yet I like the ones from late nineties to early two-thousands.

OKCSuburban
12-11-2005, 10:35 AM
how about one of each?
I have a 95 and it has been a really good car for me. I too like the older ones. For a daily driver I think it really depends on your budget. (one of each or just one) Safety features, do you want to work on your own car or have to depend on the dealer, town car or major trip machine, there are so many things that only you can answer, go and drive all, meet with your local bmw club, figure your budget and garage space. There are still cool older ones out there. I saw one on ebay yesterday a 2002 that looked like a good driver.
Best of luck and shopping.

sub006
12-17-2005, 11:52 PM
Between my wife and kids, they have four Beemers. An '80 320i, an '84 318i, a '90 318i and an '04 325i.

They all have their good points, but my favorite is the '84. It is a good enough chassis. small and easy to park, big trunk, doesn't have much fragile body plastic and its electronics are simple to understand and work on.

I would like to swap in the 130-horse engine from the '98, though!

Though I detail and maintain these cars and am a long-time BMW CCA member, my daily drivers are CHEVIES!

Add your comment to this topic!