Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Best oil type to use in a 1991 camry?

cycosurfer
12-09-2005, 10:40 PM
My car has 200,450 miles on it and it is running well. However, I've been concerned with the oil viscosity type to use. For all kinds of reasons, I need to get as many miles as I can from this car. I've been mostly convinced by looking at other posts from other people that it doesn't matter what kind of oil brand you use as long as it passes regulations. My personal preference is Castrol GTX or Mobil 1 because I've only heard good from using them. I am however using Pennzoil just this once, as the shop ran out of the other two brands. I'll have to say that my car isn't running as smoothly as it was when I used Castrol GTX or Mobil 1. But anyhow, the question I have is that I use 5W-30 oil. I drive long distance trips regularly (500+ miles) and I'm concerned with the oil my engine is running with. I do drive at 80+ mph, so I feel like it needs 10W-30 oil, but I don't know for sure. It's wintertime right now, so it's quite cold, but the majority of the time my engine runs hot. Let me know all of your opinions....I'll be grateful...

It seems that my gas mileage seems to take a hit with 10W-30, but I haven't tried it in a while. It might just be coincidental.

Also, any opinions on high mileage oil? I know it's a marketing gimmick, as I'm sure it doesn't cost that much more to make it. But I'm wondering if I even need it. As long as I know that it can help without harm, then I'm happy.

1991 Toyota Camry DX 2.0L I4 3SFE

uibalnme
12-09-2005, 11:24 PM
Sounds like you chage your oil regularly, thats good. If your engine is still running fine, then keep using 5W-30. Thicker oil will always decrease your gas mileage, if your engine wasn't made to use it. As for the brand of oil, I use Royal Purple. I have never used a better oil than Royal Purple. I have a 96 Camry with a 5sfe (125,000 miles), and I consistantly get 33mpg or better on long road trips. I also use Royal Purple front to back in my 225,000 mile 89 Toyota Pickup. It still idles smooth, and it's got more power than it had at 100,000 miles. Checkout royalpurple.com for more info. They make a full line automotive fluids, that out perform anything I've ever used. I don't know if there are any Pepboys auto parts stores where you are, but they carry Royal Purple (motor oil only). If there are any custom engine shops near you, they should have the full line. It's only about a dollar more than Mobil 1.

Toysrme
12-10-2005, 02:28 AM
Post like this would best be directed to an Oil/lubrication based forum, with people that actually know a ton about what they're talking about.
(No offince to anyone.)
Bobistheoilguy.com
Join their forums, poke around, search, then ask some questions.

Personally, I hate Castrol. Mobil1 synthetic/EP is the best oil you can buy (That is commonly avalible anywhere). 5 quart Jugs @ wal-mart are like $18. :smile:
Both 5w-30 & 10w-30 are the original OEM's recommendation. Run 5w-30 synthetic all year long.
Most high mileage oils just have more additives in them to aid in cleaning & attempting to seal rubber gaskets. Tho I used a crate of 10w-40 Valvoline max-life - it was only because I had it to use. Run a quality synthetic if you can afford it. I'd flush it out instead of running a high mileage oil, then use a quality oil. Tho opinions vary wildly:
Seafoam, Marvil Mystery Oil - stuff of that nature a couple days before an oil change works. So does taking a quart of Kerosene & putting it in there RIGHT before you change the oil. (Insert kerosene, crank enigne, let it idle 10min - no more than 20 or you're asking for trouble, drain pan, pour another quart through to get debris out of the pan - proceed to change the oil like normal.)
I'm not getting into the discussion of what's right, or wrong - because they've all proven to work for decades. (I've done them all. I love Seafoam from it's many uses out of one $5 can, but I don't fear Kerosene & have used it before.)

Interestingly, Toyota rescently joined Ford & a few others. Some newer vehicles are using 20 weight. Oil has come a long way in the last couple of decades.

My advice, just use something of quality & great standing over @ bob's. Then follow the OEM schedule. The original schedule is:
6 months / 3750miles for sever duty (Schedule A)
12months / 7500miles for normal duty (Schedule B)

cycosurfer
12-10-2005, 01:22 PM
Just replaced the oil with fully synthetic Mobil 1 so I can sleep well tonight..

it is however 5W-40 oil... can't hurt it too much i don't think.

undeniable difference in how smoothly it idles and runs. why did i ever defect from mobil 1...

Add your comment to this topic!