Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Lower Intake Gasket Leak

65pacecar
12-09-2005, 07:55 PM
Well I have the notorious 3.4L lower intake gasket leak on the Grand Am (2001). The dealer wanted 904.00 to change it, a reputable garage in town said they will do it for $675.00. I priced the intake gasket set (upper and lower), Felpro for $49.99. How hard of a job is this, is it worth the labor cost to pay it, or do it myself?
What all has to be performed/removed etc. when doing this and is there any additional precautions that I need to take. I have changed intake gaskets on other cars but I have heard this is a pain in the butt. Any Input?

Thanks.

xeroinfinity
12-09-2005, 11:48 PM
you would want to buy a manual like Chilton or Hynes. Its time consuming, considering its under everything. Read the manual a couple times before you try to do it.
But I would also recommend taking it to a professional , its the putting it back together thats difficult. and remembering where everthing goes. Good Luck.

zirb
12-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Get that haynes book.$15.00. Thats what I used. Get a digital camera and take pictures. It took me about 12 hours labor. I took my time and took lots of pictures. Read the book about 5 times. Its not too bad of a job if you got the time.

Add your comment to this topic!