Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil Changes

Master01
12-08-2005, 09:51 PM
What do you guy's think my oil change schedule should be if I use synthetic oil instead of regular? 1998 Regal LS 25th aniversery ed. 3.8L V6 Series II.

I used to change my oil every 3000 miles and use a napa gold oil filter.

Currently I am going 6000 miles on the synthetic and filter. I am using Mobil 1 Extended Performance.

Do you think it is too long of an interval between oil changes. I am a long distance driver.

tkirby
12-08-2005, 10:36 PM
What do you guy's think my oil change schedule should be if I use synthetic oil instead of regular? 1998 Regal LS 25th aniversery ed. 3.8L V6 Series II.

I used to change my oil every 3000 miles and use a napa gold oil filter.

Currently I am going 6000 miles on the synthetic and filter. I am using Mobil 1 Extended Performance.

Do you think it is too long of an interval between oil changes. I am a long distance driver.
No I don't think that is to long because alot of the dealerships say to go 5000 miles for a oil change. :smokin:

BNaylor
12-08-2005, 11:04 PM
Just don't depend on the oil life monitor...lol. But seriously 5000 - 6000 miles sounds good. How many miles do you have on your LS?

Master01
12-09-2005, 08:22 AM
Just don't depend on the oil life monitor...lol. But seriously 5000 - 6000 miles sounds good. How many miles do you have on your LS?

It has 45K on it.

HotZ28
12-09-2005, 01:20 PM
I run Mobil-1 extended life in mine and change the filter @ 7500 miles and add one quart of the same grade oil. I then go another 7500 miles and change the oil & filter. My car has 175K and the inside of the engine looks new, no varnish or sludge or crusting. It also uses less than a quart of oil during those 7500 mile intervals and has never been taken apart. The only internal part that has been replaced was the timing set.

The extended life Mobil-1 (pure synthetic), has a conservative rating of 15K between changes.

Back in the 70's Popular Mechanics did a test on a car using Mobile 1 for 100K without changing the oil. All they did was change the filter and add a quart every 10K. They completely dissembled the engine and checked all the parts for wear, and the engine was spotless inside and had no signs of wear anywhere. Don't be fooled by the propaganda spread by the oil companies that you need to change the oil at 3K that is pure BS! Sure, if my profits depended on repeat customers, I too, would recommend changing it more often to boost the bottom line. The only oil I would consider using for extended periods (15K or more) would be pure synthetic. i.e. Mobil-1, Amsoil & Royal Purple. Amsoil even recommends a 25K interval between changes! Dinosaur oils can even be run for 6K between changes now days without any adverse affects due to the advanced additives.

BNaylor
12-09-2005, 01:48 PM
I run Mobil-1 extended life in mine and change the filter @ 7500 miles and add one quart of the same grade oil. I then go another 7500 miles and change the oil & filter. My car has 175K and the inside of the engine looks new, no varnish or sludge or crusting. It also uses less than a quart of oil during those 7500 mile intervals and has never been taken apart. The only internal part that has been replaced was the timing set.

The extended life Mobil-1 (pure synthetic), has a conservative rating of 15K between changes.

Interesting, so you're actually taking the Mobil 1 Extended to the limits and thats with a lot of mileage on your vehicle. I was thinking about switching from reg. Mobil 1 to the extended life in my Regal GS next oil change. I've used Mobil 1 since the first oil change. No problems or leaking gaskets either.

HotZ28
12-10-2005, 08:26 PM
If you will go to the Mobil site below, you will see that not all of the oils are "pure synthetic", only the Mobil-1 super-syn and extended life make that claim.

Also, 15K is not by any means the max life of this oil. I would not hesitate to run it 25K. Before they came out with the extended life version, I ran Mobil-1 10W-30 for 10K without changing oil or filter (Mobil-1 filter).

Again, Exxon-Mobil is in the oil business and they like to sell all they can. In order to do this, they have a very conservative recommendation on mileage between changes.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Oils.aspx

Add your comment to this topic!