ABS sensor - dealer runaround

Northern Yukon
12-08-2005, 07:46 PM
I've taken in my 2002 Yukon for the abs wheel speed sensor recall. The abs has been activating when coming to a stop in normal conditions. I waited over 3 hours at the dealership today for a 1 hour procedure and they still haven't fixed it. They say that they cleaned the sensor and checked the voltage output on both and were o.k.. There investigating further. Does anybody know of anything I can mention to the dealer/mechanic? I had to leave it there over night with no substitue vehicle. Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks

bcopeland
12-23-2005, 07:00 PM
Try http://www.modulemaster.com/

Northern Yukon
12-24-2005, 12:01 PM
Try http://www.modulemaster.com/
The dealer has now fixed it. Inside info has told me that they broke something removing the sensor and didn't tell me. Everything checks out o.k. now. The only issue I have now is that this fix is only temporary. They cleaned the sensor and applied some copper anti corrosion. To me this seems like the sensor will fail again someday. GM needs to come up with a permanent fix. Brakes failing to work due to a faulty sensor is a serious issue! Anybody with this similar problem please be aware.

Shantrane
12-28-2005, 08:37 PM
I just notice the same problem 3 days ago. My ABS kicks in under normal braking conditions. Is there a recall? I looked on GMC.com and it says nothing for a recall. Is it still covered?
2002 Denali, 78k

Northern Yukon
12-29-2005, 09:30 PM
I just notice the same problem 3 days ago. My ABS kicks in under normal braking conditions. Is there a recall? I looked on GMC.com and it says nothing for a recall. Is it still covered?
2002 Denali, 78k

Yes there is a recall. Check out the National Highway and Traffic Safety website. I can't recall the exact website but it does tell what goes wrong with the sensor and what they do to fix it. Any GM dealer should fix it free of charge. I think it's a difficult part to remove due to the corrosion on the bolt holding the sensor on. They tried to get me to pay for a new wiring harness for $450. I said forget it just put it back together. Then they came back saying they would replace all of it as part of a goodwill thing.....yeah right. They probably broke the part removing it and damaging the harness, which wasn't covered. Just be careful and go to a dealer you trust.

Shantrane
12-30-2005, 04:51 PM
Yes there is a recall. Check out the National Highway and Traffic Safety website. I can't recall the exact website but it does tell what goes wrong with the sensor and what they do to fix it. Any GM dealer should fix it free of charge. I think it's a difficult part to remove due to the corrosion on the bolt holding the sensor on. They tried to get me to pay for a new wiring harness for $450. I said forget it just put it back together. Then they came back saying they would replace all of it as part of a goodwill thing.....yeah right. They probably broke the part removing it and damaging the harness, which wasn't covered. Just be careful and go to a dealer you trust.

Northern Yukon you wont believe this sh*t.
I own a 2002 Yukon Denali
I live in NJ, one of the "Salt Belt" States
and My ABS kicks in at low speeds (just like the recall states)
but my VIN is not qualified for a recall.

I called GM, gave them my VIN, and they told me I have to pay for it???

Northern Yukon
12-31-2005, 12:39 PM
Northern Yukon you wont believe this sh*t.
I own a 2002 Yukon Denali
I live in NJ, one of the "Salt Belt" States
and My ABS kicks in at low speeds (just like the recall states)
but my VIN is not qualified for a recall.

I called GM, gave them my VIN, and they told me I have to pay for it???

If I were you I would kick up some serious sh*t. This is an extremely dangerous problem that could potentially kill someone. It is an engineering error on part of GM and has only really come to light since last summer. If someone was killed due to this sh*tty sensor I'm sure the courts would point the blame at GM! Lean on GM some more and perhaps write a letter to the NHTSA. Worst case senario, if you have to pay for it yourself, go to modulemaster.com. It's probably a lot cheaper than GM.

Shantrane
12-31-2005, 03:10 PM
If I were you I would kick up some serious sh*t. This is an extremely dangerous problem that could potentially kill someone. It is an engineering error on part of GM and has only really come to light since last summer. If someone was killed due to this sh*tty sensor I'm sure the courts would point the blame at GM! Lean on GM some more and perhaps write a letter to the NHTSA. Worst case senario, if you have to pay for it yourself, go to modulemaster.com. It's probably a lot cheaper than GM.

I sent this email to NHSTA, GM, and CBS NY News.

"I would like to keep this short, and just get to the point. Hopefully
you
can give me a clearer understanding of why my SUV does not fall under
the
recall for ID: 05V379000. I own a 2002 Yukon Denali, I live in the
"Salt
Belt" States, and I am having the problem discussed in this recall, why
is
my SUV not covered? I called GMC and gave them my VIN, and they stated
my
SUV is not affected and if I have the problem I must pay for it to get
fixed. My issue is not paying for this to get fixed, my SUV is
currently
going into my local mechanic next week for this issue. My issue is
that my
SUV weighs over 5000lbs, and this recall is for BRAKES. One of the
most
important part for safety. I went to several GMC forums and others are
having the same issue, and are not covered. The main safety issue is
people are driving 5000lbs weapons with faulty brakes. GM should be
held
accountable if other are having the same issue, they should also be
held
accountable if injury or death occurs from their negligence.

Thanks
Shant Rane"

I almost did kill someone yesterday. It was dak some old guy was walking across the road, I braked and my ABS kicked in. 5ft closer and the lat thing he would have saw was a shiny red GMC logo. I had enough, I will just bring it to my local mech. I cant risk killing someone. They have instructions on NHTSA website and howto fix the problem sent out by GM. I will just give them to my mech.

maxwedge
12-31-2005, 03:28 PM
You could take the dealer to small claims court for breach of warranty, then GM indemnifies them, has has to show up in court and prove your truck is not affected because of where you live. You must have it fixed and get a bill stating what was done and take pics of the corrosion and let a judge decide here. Been there and done this !!!

Add your comment to this topic!