Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

car's electrical problem

supracampbe11
12-08-2005, 04:00 PM
My 90 teg started on Monday, but when it started I did not here the 3 chimes before starting. Well, I warm it up and drive it for 10 minutes, and when I come back 10 min later it won't start. I thought it was the battery since autozone said it was low. I got the battery recharged, started back up, and I still did not here the chimes like usual. I start driving it, I stall the car, and then it dies again. I bought a brand new battery and nothing happens. The terminal connections are secured and clean. When I turn the key nothing at all happens and the hazard sign is the only thing that can come on( ihave not tried the lights). Does any body know what the problem could be? Is it the alternator? (Just to note it is a 5 sp swap not done by pros)

DaSnowMan5
12-08-2005, 11:00 PM
Well if the battery is fully charged and when you turn the key nothing happens, then your starter could be out or maybe there is a fuse as well. If you are noticing that other lights are not coming on as well, I would start by checking all of your fuses, under the dash and under the hood.
Good Luck!

supracampbe11
12-11-2005, 03:34 AM
Where is the fuse box? The hazards come on but they don't blink and are dim, so I thing it may be the battery terminal or ground wire. I have left the car outside for since november and started it once a week. I think the wires went bad.

DaSnowMan5
12-13-2005, 10:31 PM
Where is the fuse box? The hazards come on but they don't blink and are dim, so I thing it may be the battery terminal or ground wire. I have left the car outside for since november and started it once a week. I think the wires went bad.

There is usually one under the dash on the drivers side, and there is another one under the hood. But if the lights are dim, then that is a sign your battery is low. Exactly what is the car doing? Is the motor turning over when you try to start it? or does it do absolutely nothing with you turn the key and try to start?

southernmec
01-30-2006, 03:14 PM
try removing the battery and battery case and check the restance in the ground wires, the check the altinator ground the same way, but only after you check the fuses , as that is the easist thing to do.

supracampbe11
03-17-2006, 10:06 AM
Sorry, for not responding to the other post, I have been in school and waited until spring break. The car still wil not turn over at all, and absolutely nothing happens except for the hazards light coming on and do not blink. The battery is brand new, and the ground wire does not have any corrosion on it. The original owner did a auto to 5sp swap, and and removed his msd box from the car. Could the car be messed up as a result of either of those two?

Sulsa
03-24-2006, 01:50 PM
It sounds like you have short somewhere. You can take out all the fuses, and test the resistance of each circuit to ground, individually. If one has very little resistance, (like 1 ohm or less), then you probably have a short to ground in that circuit. You will need to trace that circuit out visually, and find the short and repair it. If none of this makes sense to you, find a good shop that speciallizes in automotive eletrical.

It's also possible that one of your wiring harnesses came loose. Check all the harness connectors under your dash and under your hood with whichever lights are dimmer than normal, ON. If the lights suddenly get brighter or dimmer when you are pushing on one connector, then that's probably your issue.

supracampbe11
03-26-2006, 08:59 AM
Thanks, I understand what you mean but I don't have that equipment. Would autozone or Sears have it. It is just electrical diagnostic equipment right?

Sulsa
03-26-2006, 11:44 AM
You just need a fairly accurate multimeter (like less than + or - 2% error margin), that includes probe style leads. If you get one that can test down to hundredths of volts and ohms, it'll be better for trouble shooting sensors too. Yes, you can get one at sears, or Home depot, Lowes, ace hardware, probably any auto parts store. The best brands are fluke(expensive), and Ideal.

If you find a circuit with a really low resistance to ground, and the circuit isn't integal to running the motor, remove the fuse for that circuit, and try to start the car. If that seems to fix your issue, then you know there is a short in that circuit.

Good Luck

supracampbe11
04-21-2006, 05:26 AM
Well, i have finally found the problem. The way the previous owner wired the car, a stray wire was not hooked up when I changed the car. Connected it to the car and power. So, I old it back to him for the same amount I paid. Thanks to those who tried to help.

Add your comment to this topic!