Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transfer case problem?

Liberty4x403
12-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Ok 4x4 2003 jeep liberty automatic i have part time fulltime low and 2w
I just had a problem with my truck
Ok myt truck only works n 4x4 low(25mph) witch makes me think that my rear tires are not working since i go to Direct or Reverse and it doesnt go anywhere when i shift to D P or 1 2 and it feels like im n neutral i can even push the truck n Park or direct or reverse and that shouldnt happen

Someone told me about the transfer case he said something about the forks inside or the chain and It makes a noise too.
How sure can i be that my transfer case isnt working good or my tranny?
Is transmision is working good since i go 4x4 low and i can feel when its doing the autoshifting but a good question would be if the transfer case isnt working then my transmisition D R P 1 and 2 wouldnt work?
What could it be that it only works n 4x4 low? Direct Reverse

If it gets to work n 2w D or R it would go for like 5 seconds but then it doesnt go anywhere i press the gas and nop then i go N to go to 4x4 Low
I park my truck and i must have the emergency brake otherwise it rollsover or it doesnt stay there cuz it feels like its n neutral thanks guys !!!!!

Ray H
12-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Im not sure I understand whats going on here. What is "direct reverse"?
Just to throw something out, You know that your T-case has a neutral? If the t-case is stuck in N, it will act as you describe no matter what gear the tranny is in. If the problem were with your rearend, the Jeep would work in "parttime" as well as "low".
I think you are not getting the t-case shifted past "N" when going from "low".
With the Jeep t-case in "low" or "N" and tranny in "N", roll the Jeep forward or backward slightly at a speed lower than walking speed and try to shift the t-case from "low" up through "N" to parttime and then to fulltime. Actually, your owners manual should discribe the same thing, but better.
Its possible that the t-case linkage is out of adjustment but its more likely that you either dont use your 4WD much or this is the first time youve used it this season and its just sticky. As you use it more, it will get easier to engage and disengage.

Liberty4x403
12-09-2005, 11:29 AM
Im not sure I understand whats going on here. What is "direct reverse"?
Just to throw something out, You know that your T-case has a neutral? If the t-case is stuck in N, it will act as you describe no matter what gear the tranny is in. If the problem were with your rearend, the Jeep would work in "parttime" as well as "low".
I think you are not getting the t-case shifted past "N" when going from "low".
With the Jeep t-case in "low" or "N" and tranny in "N", roll the Jeep forward or backward slightly at a speed lower than walking speed and try to shift the t-case from "low" up through "N" to parttime and then to fulltime. Actually, your owners manual should discribe the same thing, but better.
Its possible that the t-case linkage is out of adjustment but its more likely that you either dont use your 4WD much or this is the first time youve used it this season and its just sticky. As you use it more, it will get easier to engage and disengage.

This is how its doing to me
Lets forget about the 4x4 for a bit.
I start my truck n normal 2w its n P(park) i go to direct and it doesnt go anywhere i go to R(reverse) and it doesnt go anywhere and if im lucky i might move 5seconds and then i feel like im n neutral and even when im n park(P) i can still push it
Now to be able to move the truck it only works n (D) direct or R(reverse) just 4x4 low
That tells me that the only wheels moving are the front ones
Someone told me that the transfer case has 2 forks one for the 4low and one for the 2w or one for faster and one for lower speep
Im not sure but u might know more it makes a noise by the transfer case if my transmision wouldnt work i wouldnt be feeling the shifting of the 4x4low, dont you think? it wouldnt go anywhere if i would have it n 4x4 low D(direct)

I hope i have describe better
Yes i didnt know how to use the 4x4 and now it doesnt work anymore.

Ray H
12-09-2005, 02:20 PM
I still think your t-case is not shifting past the neutral position and the noise that you hear is the t-case grinding because its not completely in gear. As you said, if it was the tranny, you wouldnt be feeling it shift, Im saying if it was the rearend, it would move in "parttime" or "Low". For whatever reason, the fork or linkage, the t-case is not shifting past "N".
PS: You threw me alittle in the first post, Im used to "D" standing for Drive not Direct.

Liberty4x403
12-11-2005, 03:37 PM
I still think your t-case is not shifting past the neutral position and the noise that you hear is the t-case grinding because its not completely in gear. As you said, if it was the tranny, you wouldnt be feeling it shift, Im saying if it was the rearend, it would move in "parttime" or "Low". For whatever reason, the fork or linkage, the t-case is not shifting past "N".
PS: You threw me alittle in the first post, Im used to "D" standing for Drive not Direct.

Yes D as drive or direct
It only works n 4x4Low cuz i pull my 4x4 stick to 4x4low and the truck moves other than that it wont move at all well it would feel like its n Neutral i can either push it n Park Drive or Reverse when its not n 4x4 low. I believe it tells me that the only wheels moving are the front ones and yes i feel the shifting n my tranny pretty good like a new suv
I have the noise from the t-case
I just wanted to make sure it wasnt something bigger than my t-case
Now how can it go wrong(t-case) how can it brake down? What did i do wrong?
How does these things brakedown?
I canno go 2w at all or it might go for 4seconds and then it feels like its not engaging at all and the noise back again.

Ray H
12-12-2005, 12:43 AM
When you move your t-case lever from "Low to 2WD, can you feel it going through neutral, 4WD Fulltime and 4WD parttime? Is your t-case lever going all the way forward?

Liberty4x403
12-12-2005, 12:10 PM
When you move your t-case lever from "Low to 2WD, can you feel it going through neutral, 4WD Fulltime and 4WD parttime? Is your t-case lever going all the way forward?
I feel like its neutral and i feel a noise too when i go to park,drive or reverse

Yes i can move my 4x4 stick, but for example im n P(park) and 2w and i hear a noise rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr so what i do i go to N(neutral) n my tranny and i go to 4x4low since its the only one that would work and move the other ones wouldnt work(4x4partime 4x4H at all
i mean i can move my lever to 4x4H partime but its not going to move at all not even n 4x4H D(drive)
I mean The lever from my transfer case move n the inside of my truck with my hands but it only works n 4x4low and Drive(D)
It doesnt work 4x4H 4x4Part time it feels like im n neutral same my transmision nless i go to 4x4Low

Do you have a phone number i can call you I mean im sure u could probably hear the noise if u dont mind Thanks or if you want to ill give u my number..

Liberty4x403
12-12-2005, 01:07 PM
I had part time 4x4 i pushed the brake and the gas and i opened my door and looked at my rear tires and theyre working part time 4x4 i mean my rear tires are spinning now i dunno but i hear a noise like when u have low oil n ur engine but its not my engine forsure i hear it n my transfer case like something is rubbing there
It doesnt do it nless i push or press the gas and im doing 20mhp
I havent been over 25mph since i dunno if the 4x4 is stuck n 4x4low i have the feeling that something broke inside or is stuck something inside my transfer case
I dunno but im sure its working n part time now D(Drive) Park(P) and Reverse(R)
Its not working n 2w or 4x4H tho i dunno why

Ray H
12-12-2005, 05:07 PM
No offense but Im not convinced that you are real familiar with your transfercase operation, this feeling is bases on you not knowing if its still in 4 lo or not, but, I will assume you are operating it as it should be though.
I believe the transfer case is not shifting between modes dispite what position the shift lever is in. Ive never been inside an NP242 transfer case so my knowledge of exactly how it works is limited. Maybe someone with more experience with the 242 will break in here. There are two forks inside. One is responsible for changing modes, the other for changing ranges. They move sleeves back and forth to engage different gears on a shaft. If these sleeves arent moved far enough, they wont engage the gears cleanly and will either pop back out of gear or will grind. That is the reason for the noise you hear and the reason your Jeep may work for "a few seconds" then stop. I cant say why these sleeves arent moving as they should, it could be a problem with the shift lever, the linkage that connects the shift lever to the transfer case or something inside the case itself. That will be for someone who has access to the Jeep to figure out.

Add your comment to this topic!