Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

High RPM

lizard200
12-08-2005, 08:33 AM
Hello to everyone. I'm starting to have problem with High RPM on my RSX-S 2002. When you shift and push the pedal instead of going RPM going high and car try to catch up to it. Very strange. It started doing it about 2 weeks ago? I wonder if that relates to Timing chain? I heard Honda has problem with timing chain. I can't think of nothing else. Unless one of the vacuum hoses came off? Any ideas. Did that happened to anybody? The last things I'm thinking of. I just had alignment done and I keep coming back because it's still not right. They finally said they couldn't do it since it was lowered. So I wonder if the mechanic did something for a spite?? It sure happened just about same time since the car was aligned!?

daveersx-s
12-08-2005, 09:43 AM
Is your i-vtec still kick's in at 6000Rpm? Cause i also got a 2002 rsx-s and i had problem with my high rev. Im lucky cause i bought the car with a exttension warranty (2010 and 160 000 kms) so i went to acura and they told me it was due to my AEM CAI??? Supposely water came into it and i almost f***d really bad my engine?! CrazyCanuk and RSX-S777 will tell you much better than me, but if you got a CAI and is located in the bumper, watch out for water.

paulkramer
12-08-2005, 09:51 AM
Hmm.....a CAI, right behind the bumper.

Good thing this is not a street car!!

lizard200
12-08-2005, 11:03 AM
Is your i-vtec still kick's in at 6000Rpm? Cause i also got a 2002 rsx-s and i had problem with my high rev. Im lucky cause i bought the car with a exttension warranty (2010 and 160 000 kms) so i went to acura and they told me it was due to my AEM CAI??? Supposely water came into it and i almost f***d really bad my engine?! CrazyCanuk and RSX-S777 will tell you much better than me, but if you got a CAI and is located in the bumper, watch out for water.

It does kick in at 6000Rpm it seems to not as much? But also the engine seems to sounds a lot louder?
Maybe just my imagination? It does really suck. Since I have to gradually step on gas to not rav. the engine?
I guess I have to go to Acura to find out what the problem is? I'm not sure if regular mechanics would now much about IVTEC engines? Timing and all that.

daveersx-s
12-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Hmm.....a CAI, right behind the bumper.

Good thing this is not a street car!!

What do you mean, ``Good thing it's not a street car``???
i know two dudes down here that have their CAI right behind the bumper ,like me, and both have a type-s and far as i know a type-s is a street car??? I had two choices, behind the bumper or on the side over the...i don't know the word in english but in fench ; en dessous de l'aile.

Do you have any suggestions?

daveersx-s
12-08-2005, 02:35 PM
I would go to an Acura dealership cause they are suppose to be the best, they built it...

lizard200
12-08-2005, 03:00 PM
i know two dudes down here that have their CAI right behind the bumper ,like me, and both have a type-s and far as i know a type-s is a street car??? I had two choices, behind the bumper or on the side over the...i don't know the word in english but in fench ; en dessous de l'aile.

Mine is also behind the bumper. Today I did check all the hose connections and they are fine. I think I will try dry gas injector cleaner see if that does anything?

RSX-S777
12-08-2005, 04:50 PM
I didn't fully understand the question, but it sounds like when you punch the throttle, the rpms jump but the car doesn't accelerate quickly? Is that right? If that's the case it sounds like the clutch is going. Try shifting from second to fourth and then floor it. If the tach jumps way up but you don't really go ANYWHERE, it's the clutch. If it just bogs a little and the tach doesn't jump, it's something else. Get it checked for codes anyway at the dealer or an import mechanic. Should be easy enough to diagnose.

And I wouldn't worry about hydrolock unless you drove through a HUGE puddle...like a small lake. And you'd certainly know if you had hydrolock...because you probably wouldn't be driving your car anywhere. Then we would all laugh at you for being retarded. Cruel, but true. Let us know what you find. Good luck.

lizard200
12-08-2005, 05:16 PM
I didn't fully understand the question, but it sounds like when you punch the throttle, the rpms jump but the car doesn't accelerate quickly? Is that right? If that's the case it sounds like the clutch is going. Try shifting from second to fourth and then floor it. If the tach jumps way up but you don't really go ANYWHERE, it's the clutch. If it just bogs a little and the tach doesn't jump, it's something else. Get it checked for codes anyway at the dealer or an import mechanic. Should be easy enough to diagnose.

And I wouldn't worry about hydrolock unless you drove through a HUGE puddle...like a small lake. And you'd certainly know if you had hydrolock...because you probably wouldn't be driving your car anywhere. Then we would all laugh at you for being retarded. Cruel, but true. Let us know what you find. Good luck.

Just talked to my mechanic, he right away told me that it is a clutch. And I better go and get it fixed before car stop and don't move anywhere! The only question would be what kind of clutch since the time is the essence! Thank you for the input!

crazy_canuck
12-08-2005, 07:26 PM
Aftermarket clutch? How much are you willing to spend and are you looking for streetability, drag or track racing, or sometyhing in between (and if in between, how far in between)? There are many companies to choose from, from ACT to Exedy to Centerforce and more.
Remember that if you put too much of a racing clutch on a daily driver you're going to drive yourself insane because of how precise you'll have to be and how hard the pedal will be to push down.

As for daveersx-s, I really don't think that water went into your engine and i'm willing to believe that the dealer is just trying to be lazy. I might be wrong but i really doubt it. The only way it could happen is by washing the car and spraying the water right into the filter at high pressure, or by driving over a huge puddle. If it happened while driving you would have felt the engine seize right away and it'd more more serious than just a problem with the revs. You wouldn't be able to drive as far as I know.

Oh and every cold air intake is located behind the driver's side fog light grill.

daveersx-s
12-08-2005, 07:53 PM
Aftermarket clutch? How much are you willing to spend and are you looking for streetability, drag or track racing, or sometyhing in between (and if in between, how far in between)? There are many companies to choose from, from ACT to Exedy to Centerforce and more.
Remember that if you put too much of a racing clutch on a daily driver you're going to drive yourself insane because of how precise you'll have to be and how hard the pedal will be to push down.

As for daveersx-s, I really don't think that water went into your engine and i'm willing to believe that the dealer is just trying to be lazy. I might be wrong but i really doubt it. The only way it could happen is by washing the car and spraying the water right into the filter at high pressure, or by driving over a huge puddle. If it happened while driving you would have felt the engine seize right away and it'd more more serious than just a problem with the revs. You wouldn't be able to drive as far as I know.

Oh and every cold air intake is located behind the driver's side fog light grill.

Maybe your right, i realy don't know?? The only that count for me is my car runs well now :) And i really don't know why paulkramer wrote me that, do u know :sly:

crazy_canuck
12-08-2005, 08:56 PM
Well at least it runs good now :)

If it really was the intake, warranty or no warranty, it would not be covered and it would take a while.

As for the comment, i'm not too sure.

RSX-S777
12-08-2005, 09:55 PM
^I hate when mechanics blame problems on aftermarket mods when they fail to diagnose the real problem. It's no wonder everyone is so paranoid about CAIs...

And Lizard- you must drive pretty hard to burn out a clutch on an 02. Did you learn stick on that car or do you race? If you do race, I suppose nows as good a time as any to upgrade. If not, just stick to a standard replacement.

paulkramer
12-09-2005, 10:07 AM

I meant - who would put a CAI on a street driven car (driven in all kinds of weather conditions) and not expect problems?

I wouldn't dream of using one unless it was on a car I only drove on sunny days.....

crazy_canuck
12-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Problems with CAIs are overated and very rare. If you're really scared of hydrolocking and you see a puddle just engage the clutch while you go over the puddle, disengage it after you pass and you're alright.

mmont0
12-10-2005, 06:14 PM
Just talked to my mechanic, he right away told me that it is a clutch. And I better go and get it fixed before car stop and don't move anywhere! The only question would be what kind of clutch since the time is the essence! Thank you for the input!
If you're going to get a new clutch you might as well spend the extra $$ and put in an LSD. I think the labor shouldn't be that much more if you decide to put one in.

lizard200
12-11-2005, 09:01 AM
^I hate when mechanics blame problems on aftermarket mods when they fail to diagnose the real problem. It's no wonder everyone is so paranoid about CAIs...

And Lizard- you must drive pretty hard to burn out a clutch on an 02. Did you learn stick on that car or do you race? If you do race, I suppose nows as good a time as any to upgrade. If not, just stick to a standard replacement.

Hey S777- I guess I drive pretty hard but I would have to blame for it the kid that had the car before me. I only had that car since April. He was original owner and didn't have any maint. records for the car and couldn't answer too many questions about the car. Also it didn't really make sense why he was selling the car. He told me that insurance was too high. Well his father said he bought brand new mustang. Go figure. The price was right so I had to buy it! But next time it won't be from the kid!!

Add your comment to this topic!