Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

p1443 code, evaporative emission control system control valve

blockley
12-07-2005, 05:34 PM
I am engine stupid and need help. All Im tring to do is pass an emission test so that I can register my 1996 Ford Ranger. A P1443 code popped up and I need to know what part to buy and the price as well as the price for repair. Can anyone help me?
P.S. It reads.."Evaporative Emission Control System Control Valve " below the code.

stuzman
12-07-2005, 06:35 PM
I am engine stupid and need help. All Im tring to do is pass an emission test so that I can register my 1996 Ford Ranger. A P1443 code popped up and I need to know what part to buy and the price as well as the price for repair. Can anyone help me?
P.S. It reads.."Evaporative Emission Control System Control Valve " below the code.

This indicates that you have a problem with the purge control circuit in the evap system. I can't tell you what to change and ensure that this will correct your problem. The code doesn't tell you what component to replace...only that you should check the circuit or component that the code(s) points to. In any event, take a look at your purge control solenoid which should be located on or near the charcoal canister. Check to make sure that your vacuum hoses aren't cracked, the canister appears intact, the electrical connections and any other obvious defects. You can activate the solenoid manually by connecting 12V to the solenoid and listening for a click or connecting a bi-directional scanner and see if the computer can activate the device. You can also check the continuity of the winding with an ohmeter. There is also a purge sensor which the computer looks at to determine if the valve actually opened by sensing the vacuum when purging. This could be another component which could fail. If it turns out to be the solenoid or sensor, you can find the price online at any major auto chain. Also, here is a link to a post earlier for the same code...
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=458397

Add your comment to this topic!