Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I need help on rotating an engine on 1990 Buick

headlice1
12-07-2005, 12:46 PM
1990 Buick Century SW 3.3L V6.

It does not say how to do it in the Chiltons. On my Pontiac, all I need to do is chock one wheel, put it in nuetral, unfasten the coolant resevoir, unfasten the 2 engine straps, use leverage with a pry bar to rotate.

This procedure does not work with my Buick.

What I am trying to do is replace the electric blower that stopped working, so I can get heat back into my car.

MT-2500
12-07-2005, 12:58 PM
Check your local parts place they make a tool to help do that.
MT

headlice1
12-08-2005, 10:23 AM
Check your local parts place they make a tool to help do that.
MT

Ok, but are there specific instructions on HOW to do it?

MT-2500
12-08-2005, 02:11 PM
The basic instructions are to remove the wishbone/upper engine struts and hook the tool into where it came off and just crank the engine forward with the tool.
Some tools may be a little different but they should come with instructions.
I have hooked a double loop chain in there and gave it a few twist with a bar and done the same thing.
Or put engine in park with struts off and pusk the car and the engine will rock forward some. And just put a block between engine and firewall to hold it forward.
MT

headlice1
12-08-2005, 06:58 PM
The basic instructions are to remove the wishbone/upper engine struts and hook the tool into where it came off and just crank the engine forward with the tool.
Some tools may be a little different but they should come with instructions.
I have hooked a double loop chain in there and gave it a few twist with a bar and done the same thing.
Or put engine in park with struts off and pusk the car and the engine will rock forward some. And just put a block between engine and firewall to hold it forward.
MT

But even when applying leverage, the engine does not rotate. Is there another engine strap underneath that I do not know about? It doesnt budge.

MT-2500
12-08-2005, 08:30 PM
There may be or the engine mount setup is holding it from the undeside. Have a look underneath.
Usually the engine that have the top strut will rock when you take it lose.
MT

Add your comment to this topic!