Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Crown Vicoria PI Problems

pcshelb427
12-07-2005, 06:58 AM
My 1999 P.I. is having trouble starting. I have to pump the gas and hold it down to get it to run, otherwise it just wont start alltogether. If i hold down the gas, it will run, but the second I release the throttle, it dies. It does crank over just fine, though. Once the car is warmed up, I have no trouble starting it at all or keeping it running. B/c of this reason, I dont belive its the fuel pump. I have a strange feeling that its the mass air flow sensor becuase I think the motor is getting too much fuel and flooding itself and I have a slight spark knock at high acceleration at 40+ MPH.

One other problem I've had just recently is a popping noise from the left rear tire area. I think this is just from the emergency brake being frozen, though. But it seemed to be coming from the tire area as well as the differential. But if it was a hub bearing going out, I'm pretty sure I would hear a whining sound coming from the bearings inside the diff.

Thanks for taking your time to read and possibly reply!
Have a great day
-Pat-

bluevp00
12-07-2005, 05:18 PM
Did you remove your MAF and check it's condition? It can be cleaned with electric parts cleaner.

MT-2500
12-07-2005, 05:47 PM
How is the tune up end of it?
Mileage and engine sise.
How many miles on filters and plugs.
Any check engine lights. Have you checked for codes?
MT

way2old
12-07-2005, 05:58 PM
As a SWAG from your description, the starting problem is probably the Idle Speed Control motor. The noise you describe from the rear could be a hairline crack in the weld on the rear control arms where they are mounted to the frame. Also look at the bushings on the control arms. Sometimes these will work out of the arms. Possibly shock bushing worn also. As I said this is a SWAG from your description.

pcshelb427
12-08-2005, 06:59 AM
I talked to a good friend of mine about the starting trouble and he says that it is a fuel problem for sure and that it is probably occuring because of the weather. I live in Indiana and its been about 10-15F at night with 15 MPH wind. He thinks that my fuel lines have been freezing a little bit and that I should try some gas antifreeze. This morning it was not as cold as it has been, and the car started OK (put antifreeze in last night).
To reply to your questions: I have not checked the MAF sensor yet, simply because if this were the problem, it would have trouble starting all of the time, not just in the cold. I have no idea when the last tune-up was done on this car. It actually sat around not being driven for a year and a half before i bought it in April, 2005. It has the PI package, 4.6L, 69K miles. Filters are fine, I just checked the air filter yesterday and only have 1000 miles since last oil change. Spark plugs have not been adressed since i bought the car, I may want to check those. Any way to tell if they are bad?? And lastly, the check engine light has never come on and Im not sure about any codes for this problem, Ill have to have that checked out if i continue to have this problem.

Thank you for your responses!

way2old
12-08-2005, 07:47 AM
The MAF could possibly cause the pinging you are hearing at cruising speeds. Spark plugs are fairly inexpensive and are a good preventive measure. Use Motorcraft plugs in it. They will give better performance and longer life.

Add your comment to this topic!