Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

starter ???

SOLSTER
12-06-2005, 08:17 PM
HI All!!! It's been a while, I guess that's good news for me as the Rodeo has been running great!

Last couple of days, on turning the key, I've got juice, but just geet a single click (chink), after lots of tries, it'll crank, and I'm going. Happened three times now in a row.

Think it's the starter? Any way to be sure it's the starter. Maybe some wire came loose?

If so, what's the general advice around here for replacing it? Can you advice on price? Where can I get a replacement?

SORRY, normally I'd spend an hour searching the topic, but I'm hoping to head out of town, and packing as we type!

Thanks for any and all help. I hope some of you remember me from months ago!!! :)
:)

SOSLTER

amigo-2k
12-06-2005, 08:27 PM
I would first check your battery connections. Clean them up and put them back on. Then check your body ground from the battery to make sure it is clean and tight.

After that you will need to check the wires to the starter.

But what you discribe sounds like classic start dieing problem. They go quick.

Word is you have to drop part of the exaust (I think I recently read this on the planet) to get the bugger out. So it is not a cheap fix do to the time it take to drop the exhaust.

SOLSTER
12-06-2005, 08:32 PM
I would first check your battery connections. Clean them up and put them back on. Then check your body ground from the battery to make sure it is clean and tight.

After that you will need to check the wires to the starter.

But what you discribe sounds like classic start dieing problem. They go quick.

Word is you have to drop part of the exaust (I think I recently read this on the planet) to get the bugger out. So it is not a cheap fix do to the time it take to drop the exhaust.

Thanks Amigo!

Will do on the checks first.

I talked to a guy a Sears, he owns a 98, says when he needed one, he found prices like 450 for remanufactured, but finally found one 40 miles away, for like 250. He said new ones are not available from the dealer. anyone care to comment?

I don't mind fixing it, the truck has been so good to me, just want it done right with out getting taken to the cleaners!! I'm gonna have to pay a mechanic as it's beyond my abilities, especially if it involves an exhaust part.

Solster

Cat Fuzz
12-06-2005, 09:04 PM
Check your connections but I'd bet money its the starter.

paulsantangelo
12-06-2005, 09:19 PM
If it is your starter, bring a hammer with you on the trip if your worried, If it is the starter, wack it. It might be enough to get you going, I had to wack mine twice within a couple of weeks time, before I got a new starter.

surferfletch
12-06-2005, 09:55 PM
I went with a NAPA reman...
Without searching I think it was $160 after the core...

SOLSTER
12-06-2005, 10:22 PM
I went with a NAPA reman...
Without searching I think it was $160 after the core...

Thanks for the replies!

$169 sounds good! How would I get a napa? I'm guessing call auto part stores, and ask for a napa reman for a 99 rodeo, correct?

Then, I guess Sears is as good a place as any?

Any other suggestions?

Will check connections first, and I always have a hammer (just for trouble makers :biggrin: )

surferfletch
12-06-2005, 10:26 PM
You would go to a NAPA auto parts store and ask for a starter for your Rodeo. I got the lifetime warranty. If you want just a one (or was it 3?) year warranty, it'll only run you $130 or so.

SOLSTER
12-06-2005, 11:05 PM
You would go to a NAPA auto parts store and ask for a starter for your Rodeo. I got the lifetime warranty. If you want just a one (or was it 3?) year warranty, it'll only run you $130 or so.

Thanks! Just looked it up in the book, only one in town, never even new we had one!

Anyone wanna approximate labor, or any other unforseen costs? I know Amigo warned about the exhaust pipe might need a piece removed. It's always good to have a ballpark from you guys!

amigo-2k
12-06-2005, 11:12 PM
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB68&Number=812948&Forum=f68&Words=starter&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=812948&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=7&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post812948

Gizmo42
12-06-2005, 11:36 PM
I'm probably a little late but I got mine from checkers. Was $169 for an autolite reman starter. Its actually a reman'd factory denso.

Labor shouldnt be too bad since they will have all the tools there and its much easier on a lift probably.

As a side note I wont let sears touch my vehicles after they screwed up the rotors on my mitsu. Other have had good luck with them though.

SOLSTER
12-06-2005, 11:39 PM
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB68&Number=812948&Forum=f68&Words=starter&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=812948&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=7&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post812948

Thanks, looks like you confirmed to pain it is, and the exhaust piecw is a problem.

This was also there:

"I got the Autolite starter from Checker Auto ($159) and it looks and sounds identical to the denso starter I took out. Never liked checkers starters but figured if I went with a name brand I might have better luck. Had really bad luck with Napa starters lately."

So, I have a napa part recommended above, and a slight rub with that same one......Anyone? Otherwise, napa may be it based on a recommondation! I'd do worse if I picked on my own, so thanks for all the help!!!

jyguy915
12-07-2005, 02:47 AM
when my starter went out, i bought my own starter into my Local auto shop and they only charged my 50 buck for the change. I watched him do it and it didnt seem to be that hard, just one part of the exhaust have to come out and its just two or four bolts. Goodluck

SOLSTER
12-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Hey, I know so little about reman starters!

NAPA has a reman for 200$ by Beck Arnley

Auto zone has 1 reman for 140$ by durlast

Am I going to just have to take a guess, or can someone please help me choose a name I can trust?

I'll call around for some other alternatives

Trip is postponed until repaired :disappoin

thx!

SOLSTER
12-07-2005, 03:03 PM
sears just said the following:

$270 for a "new" NSA starter, and $70 to put it in, can be finished in 2-3 hours, any thoughts??

they can get a "new" NSA starter, $270 (about $100 more than a remanufactured), the line of products can be found by googling "NSA starter alternator"..........

rodeo02
12-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Solster, I think you will find all aftermarkets / re-man starters to be comparable. It will run ~$150+ to DIY and ~$300 to have it done. Most come with a guarantee, some are lifetime. AFAIK, the only thing that goes 'bad' on these starters are the copper brushes. You can get new brushes for an electric motor rebuilder. The starter still has to come out though.
G/luck
Joel

SOLSTER
12-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Brought it to pep boys, they are doing diagnostics, most test came out OK, battery and starter both checked, and they couldn't dup the problem. They're keeping it overnight to see if it does it on a cold start, Said it might still be something with the starter.

they have bosch with a lifetie warranty, so I'll use that if it it the starter.

thx!

rodeo02
12-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Bad brushes in the starter will be intermittent.

Joel

SOLSTER
12-08-2005, 04:40 PM
what do you think, I'm down to:

bosch new $215
bosch reman $140

both have lifetime warranty!

amigo-2k
12-08-2005, 04:50 PM
flip a coin!

I would pick the cheaper one myself.

marcre
12-08-2005, 04:55 PM
lifetime warranty, go with the reman. Bosch is pretty good anyway. I always figured a reman is just as good if done properly.

surferfletch
12-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Reman should be fine.

SOLSTER
12-08-2005, 05:00 PM
Thanks all!!!

As a gesture of appreciation, here's a pic of my newest ride:

http://www.geog.ucsb.edu/~jeisz/other/vehicles/solstice/my-solstice/ebay-ext.jpg

Happy Holidays!

surferfletch
12-08-2005, 05:05 PM
Nasty!

amigo-2k
12-08-2005, 06:02 PM
nice! do you still have the mazda's?

SOLSTER
12-08-2005, 06:07 PM
nice! do you still have the mazda's?

Yep, but one is for sure going up for sale, the other we might keep.

The Mazda is the mazdaspeed, it has factory turbo, and racing suspenion, best car I've ever driven! But the look is nice, whereas the Solstice is a real looker. the sol is a half second slower in a 0-60, not enough diff there.

SOLSTER
10-26-2007, 09:56 AM
Thanks all!!!

As a gesture of appreciation, here's a pic of my newest ride:

http://www.geog.ucsb.edu/~jeisz/other/vehicles/solstice/my-solstice/ebay-ext.jpg

Happy Holidays!

Howdy fellas! been a while, thought I'd say howdy!

just met a coworker that has 2 rodeos, 1st gen and a 2nd gen, sent him over to see what he could learn from you folks!

I'm still with the 1999 RODEO, and going strong!

Upgraded to the Solstice Turbo!

And, we're still RVing the country - while working part time for FEMA!

Have fun, and Happy Holidays!

SOLSTER

FL 3.2L
10-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Post pics from your RV adventures! Trip to SoCal in the future?

SOLSTER
10-29-2007, 10:47 AM
Post pics from your RV adventures! Trip to SoCal in the future?

Here's pics from my Solstice Forum...

http://www.solstice-forum.com/forum/index.php?topic=22.0

guess what my handle there is... RODEO, that's right :D

no trip to so cal in the works....

ENJOY!

Add your comment to this topic!