Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Possible Broken Rod

Bodack
12-06-2005, 08:53 AM
MAN my car screwed up again this weekend. I was running it kinda hard for a little while because I was super mad. I only got right before redline like 3 times, so nothing big like over-revving. I parked it for an hour or so, and then when I cranked it up again it was making a loud clicking/knocking noise from the belt side of the engine. It sounded like there was a piece of metal on the belt and was slapping against something on every pass, but I knew it wasn't that simple. Anyways, while I was driving it during its knocking period, I tried accelerating and it went super slow...like a rod was broken and it was running on 3 cylinders. I parked it, gave it some gas (because that always fixes it. ha), and the RPMs dropped and the engine shut off. I cranked it back up and the idle was so rough and shaky. It also made a really low exhaust note from the engine bay, but not from the exhaust. It's at the mechanic right now, so I'm just waiting on the verdict. My step-dad said he's almost positive the rod is snapped. And all this after spending $840 on axels and suspension. Can anybody give me some closure before the mechanic?

saturnspeed_12
12-06-2005, 12:24 PM
from the belt side right? ok im going with a broken timing tensioner bracket if its a 420a motor. when i built my friends car i used the old bracket which snapped and broke the tensioner. when i went to get a new one i found out there was another guy ordering one too. they are too thin and the centers are completely cut out so they are fragile. they need to redo it with a solid piece of metal. also if thats your problem, go to the dodge dealer. most 420a parts are cheaper there, i bought that bracket from dodge for $55 with the pulley while mitsu wanted $150 just for the bracket.

Bodack
12-06-2005, 01:58 PM
1g DOHC is the 4g63. I thought it might be the timing belt and it bent some valves, but I don't know. I might hear from the mechainc today.

saturnspeed_12
12-06-2005, 05:02 PM
sorry, i always overlook things. i noticed the 93 gs now. well guess my info has no help.

inatalonIXLR8
12-06-2005, 10:23 PM
If it were the timing belt it wouldn't run at all let alone rough. Sorry dude, she sounds like she's hooped. Maybe you cracked a piston in half and it's still attached to the rod, dragging up and down creating drag on the cylinder wall.

Bodack
12-06-2005, 10:37 PM
That's what I thought because the timing belt controls the valves and if they're not moving, the engine can't fire. Well anyways, just got word back from the mechanic and HE said the timing belt slipped and yadda yadda yadda. One of his workers told my step-dad, but we're going to talk to the main squeeze tomorrow. Basically, I'm out of a car. He said the whole motor was somehow destroyed, so my parents are going to help me out with another car since I've been working 40 hours per week and still keeping good grades (in high school!). But unfortunately, I'm leaving the DSM family. I got a lemon and it bittered my whole taste for the cars. I'm going with something RWD now, probably a 240SX, or N/T 1g Supra. Farewell guys.

ez1286
12-06-2005, 10:58 PM
If you'd bought a turbo dsm you wouldn't be leaving. Sorry to hear about your car.

Add your comment to this topic!