1996 oldsmobile 98. randomly will not start

predgw
12-06-2005, 09:50 AM
Hi guys. I found this forum and hope you could help me out. I have a starting problem. My 1996 oldsmobile Nintey Eight will randomly not start. You put the key in the ignition, turn it, and nothing happens. There is power, as the radio will come on and the dash lights up. The motor however will not even attempt to turn over. After about 30 or 40 tries the car will randomly start up. I have installed a new starter and a new battery but that has not helped. The alternator has been tested and is working fine. Any ideas? My guess was the security aspect of the key has failed. However when I called the GM dealer and asked about the new key the tech doubted very highly that it was the key. He said it should either work or not. Thanks in advance for the help.

P.S. You have got to love the internet. What a resource.

dmanlyr
12-07-2005, 09:06 PM
The key is probably ok, but that is the cheapest thing to try first. If not then the next thing would be the contacts in the ignition key area, figure about $150 or so at your GM dealer to get it fixed (plus the price of new ignition keys)

David

tmorgan
12-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Hi guys. I found this forum and hope you could help me out. I have a starting problem. My 1996 oldsmobile Nintey Eight will randomly not start. You put the key in the ignition, turn it, and nothing happens. There is power, as the radio will come on and the dash lights up. The motor however will not even attempt to turn over. After about 30 or 40 tries the car will randomly start up. I have installed a new starter and a new battery but that has not helped. The alternator has been tested and is working fine. Any ideas? My guess was the security aspect of the key has failed. However when I called the GM dealer and asked about the new key the tech doubted very highly that it was the key. He said it should either work or not. Thanks in advance for the help.

P.S. You have got to love the internet. What a resource.
================================================== ====

Just went through the same thing with my best automotive friend - - my 96 Ninety Eight R-Elite. It was definitely the key switch in the steering column. $180 plus a new key ($76) and I was`outa there with no more probs. Ya gotta love this forum!

diesel1962
12-16-2005, 06:51 AM
Hello.I was wondering if it could be the neutral safety switch? See if car will start when transmisson is put in neutral.Good luck..Diesel1962

predgw
12-19-2005, 08:34 AM
Hello.I was wondering if it could be the neutral safety switch? See if car will start when transmisson is put in neutral.Good luck..Diesel1962
That is a good suggestion but that wasn't it. I tried going to neutral several times but it did not help. Sounds like I need the ignition switch. I assume that cost was just the parts. Is it a bear to change? Thanks alot guys, I appreciate it. Problem is driving me crazy. No pun intended.

dmanlyr
12-19-2005, 02:25 PM
That is a good suggestion but that wasn't it. I tried going to neutral several times but it did not help. Sounds like I need the ignition switch. I assume that cost was just the parts. Is it a bear to change? Thanks alot guys, I appreciate it. Problem is driving me crazy. No pun intended.

Actually in my case it was a installed price at the local GM dealership !

D~

Matthew53
12-20-2005, 04:56 PM
My guess was the security aspect of the key has failed. However when I called the GM dealer and asked about the new key the tech doubted very highly that it was the key. He said it should either work or not. .

Did you get any security message on the display? Mine is notorious for "Unable to start. Please clean key and try again in five minutes." So, the "either it works, or it doesn't" may not be ENTIRELY true.

dmanlyr
12-20-2005, 07:35 PM
Did you get any security message on the display? Mine is notorious for "Unable to start. Please clean key and try again in five minutes." So, the "either it works, or it doesn't" may not be ENTIRELY true.

I never recieved the security light, just the message like you, that came up on the computer readout.

And you are very correct, it would only act up me about once a week ~ always at the wrong time. I did quite a bit of reasearch into the system and came up witha couple of ways to bypass it, but in the end it turned out the eaisiest to just replace the lock cylinder (came with new contacts for the pass - key)

David

quicksand
12-24-2005, 05:44 AM
i had the same problem on a cutlass supreme i thought that it was the starter im not sure what engine and set up you have but it turned out to be loose connections to the starter and the fuse box.

predgw
01-20-2006, 07:06 AM
I never received the message about the key. I dropped the car off wednesday to have the ignition switch changed. Found out late last night that the switch GM provided had different connections than what was on the car. The s*#t continues. I will keep you all posted. thanks

Add your comment to this topic!