Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Crankshaft Pulley Removal 1994 Rodeo 3.2 liter

Dvfdfireguy
12-04-2005, 06:59 PM
Ok Here goes. I have been trying for the better part of the day trying to remove the crankshaft pulley, in order to replace the water pump. I have tried using an impact wrench but I think maybe the comperssor is not larger enough. I tried using a cheater bar but the crankshaft would rotate. How can keep the crank from rotating inorder to use the cheater bar or do I simply need a larger compressor. Also am I correct concering the direction I need to go to remove the bolt which is clockwise as I am looking at the front of the motor.

Thanks in advance for any advice I get.

Update. I got to searching around on the Site and found others with the same problem. Looks Like I have a solution. I will give it a try in the AM and see what happens.

rodeo02
12-05-2005, 08:53 AM
Very common problem. You see lots of posts on this. Rest the breaker bar against something SOLID like the frame and bump the starter over. This will losten the bolt. Other than that, you'd need to clear the radiator out of the way and attack with a MOSTER impact gun.
G/luck
Joel

mva5142
12-06-2005, 10:18 AM
I put a piece of rubber around the crankshaft pulley and used a ratchet strap around the crankshaft pulley and a/c compressor mounting area and ratcheted it down tight and was able to break it loose. Works great for doing it by yourself.

surferfletch
12-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Very common problem. You see lots of posts on this. Rest the breaker bar against something SOLID like the frame and bump the starter over. This will losten the bolt. Other than that, you'd need to clear the radiator out of the way and attack with a MOSTER impact gun.
G/luck
Joel
I used this method on my VW Jetta last weekend to remove the crank gear. Way too easy. Without knowing this, it took a pipe to extend a pipe wrench on the crank pulley and another pipe on a breaker bar on the crank bolt, and my daughter and I pulling in opposite directions to get it to let go. Come to think of it, I replaced that bolt in the Jetta. Should I have replaced it in the Rodeo? Is it a stretch bolt???

Dvfdfireguy
12-07-2005, 08:37 PM
Want to thank everyone for the advise. Used the breaker bar method with the starter and it worked like a charm. I plan on coming to this forum on a regular basis.

Add your comment to this topic!