Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

problem: help!

patmel
12-04-2005, 11:10 AM
I am new to this site. I do not have considerable mechanical knowledge....yet.

Background:

I have a 99 Pontiac Firebird. It has been a "great" car. It has 190,000 miles on it. I am just starting to experience some fairly serious problems with it. I greatly appreciate your advice, for I don't trust automech. shops in general.

#1 I recently went in for a brake job and a tie rod replacement. The owners told me (as I paid for the services) that there was a sound in the rear end, and that I would need a new rear end if I planned to keep the car. I didn't recall hearing any sound prior to bringing the car in. Does this sound right?

#2 I have been experiencing some hesitation, misfiring, or whatever it might be called. This happens normally as I am accelerating. When I keep the speed steady, it doesn't occur. Could this be my transmission? Spark plugs? What? The other day, I started it up to leave and the check engine light started blinking non-stop (this light has been on for 3 years now....I just ignore it). The car was hesitating constantly for about a mile, so I drove back home. Now, it's back to its normal pattern of hesitation (during acceleration).

I am bringing the car in tomorrow for diagnosis. I would REALLY appreciate some suggestions before I do this.

THANKS!!

ikeyballz
12-04-2005, 04:42 PM
About the Rearend, i seriously doubt you need a new one, but if you do, you might as well drive your car till it dies..instead of just changing it now.

Go take your car to Autozone to get it scanned. I think its probably the timing retarding sensor? the knock sensor or whatever, correct me if im wrong...try change all your sparkplugs. it always helps?

my first car, a 3rdgen camaro hesitates really bad..all the time, even at idle..turns out its the vapor canister? when my dad disconnected it..it worked totally fine. I have no idea what the hell it does, but it starts burning too much gas now.. >_<.
good lucks..

CreepingDeath94
12-04-2005, 06:01 PM
You may not need a new rearend per se, though at 190K miles it is quite possible that it needs to be rebuilt. More than likely the bearings are making a whirring or whining sound under acceleration, deceleration, or load period. As far as the hesitation, when was the last time you did a tune-up replacing the plugs, wires, etc.? It is not that old of a car but with those miles you may need to replace a fuel filter or fuel pump, something in the ignition like coils, or have a worn out engine epending on who owned it before you. There might be a loss of compression in one or more of the cylinders giving you hesitation as well. In other words, without more info. on the car or looking at it personally, it could be something as simple as spark plugs or a fuel filter or something serious like an engine rebuild. Hopefully this helps some when you take it in to the mechanic.

patmel
12-05-2005, 10:58 AM
Thanks! I am on my way to the shop now, and I am considering your advice. The Internet is too cool! Thanks for your time.

You may not need a new rearend per se, though at 190K miles it is quite possible that it needs to be rebuilt. More than likely the bearings are making a whirring or whining sound under acceleration, deceleration, or load period. As far as the hesitation, when was the last time you did a tune-up replacing the plugs, wires, etc.? It is not that old of a car but with those miles you may need to replace a fuel filter or fuel pump, something in the ignition like coils, or have a worn out engine epending on who owned it before you. There might be a loss of compression in one or more of the cylinders giving you hesitation as well. In other words, without more info. on the car or looking at it personally, it could be something as simple as spark plugs or a fuel filter or something serious like an engine rebuild. Hopefully this helps some when you take it in to the mechanic.

patmel
12-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Thanks! I will consider this also!

About the Rearend, i seriously doubt you need a new one, but if you do, you might as well drive your car till it dies..instead of just changing it now.

Go take your car to Autozone to get it scanned. I think its probably the timing retarding sensor? the knock sensor or whatever, correct me if im wrong...try change all your sparkplugs. it always helps?

my first car, a 3rdgen camaro hesitates really bad..all the time, even at idle..turns out its the vapor canister? when my dad disconnected it..it worked totally fine. I have no idea what the hell it does, but it starts burning too much gas now.. >_<.
good lucks..

Add your comment to this topic!