Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fun with mustangs on black ice...

TheStang00
12-03-2005, 09:58 PM
So I just got back from dinner, went over to the nearest applebees. when i drove there it was relatively slippery, tested the road some steped the back out a lil to see my limits. we ate, came back out to go home and it had been freezing rain the entire time, as soon as it would hit it froze. well i found out from a cop later that the salt trucks hadnt even been out yet in that county. so anyway i worked my way to the highway, got her on the onramp and the thing was just a sheet of black ice... this got fun...

about half way down the ramp, i had very light pressure on the gas, the back end started squirming, so i started getting off the gas and workin on keeping the car straight, i never over corrected or anything, i was olny goin like 35. so the car was fishtailing down the entire bottom half of the ramp, luckily no cars were coming, cause as soon as i got to the highway it just shot around, nothing i could do, i was workin the brakes and thought i was gonna be able to stop it on the far shoulder, but it just slide straight off into the median...

so it ended up takin like 45 minutes for the guy to get there to pull me out, it was funny cause it was so slick that the tow truck was actually sliding off the road trying to pull me out, the guy had to put salt down and put a big board behind the truck. the cop was actually having some fun ice skating around in his shoes on the side of the road. it was kinda funny. ended up finally getting out, no damage to the car, drove home at about 30mph.

when we were waiting in the median there, about 10 minutes after i did it another mustang came down the same ramp and spun off the other side of the highway straight across from us. and when the tow truck was there a jeep came off the ramp and spun around and came about a foot from hitting the tow truck. i drove all last winter in snow and everything in my mustang... ive always been pretty good at keepin her straight, i do shit on purpose all the time. but damn this stuff was rediculous.

so moral of the story... one legger RWD cars are NOT good on black ice...

its long i dont blame you if you dont read it, but no cliffs damnit.

-Jayson-
12-03-2005, 11:52 PM
ive spun out on black ice before, i was able to recover, but still a very scary experience

TheStang00
12-04-2005, 12:21 AM
yeah it is pretty exciting to say the least. it was incredible though there were cars sliding off everywhere. in the time i was sitting there 3 other cars spun off the same ramp. the cop couldnt even stay longer that 5 minutes because he had to go look at another wreck. and on the way home we say another wreck. ive driven in some shitty ass stuff but this was amazing. im not even angry.

GForce957
12-04-2005, 01:42 PM
What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing! How 'bout we get you in your p.j.'s and we hit the hay.

Black ice is some crazy stuff mang. I've only had it as bad as you did a few years back in New Jersey. Every other car you looked at just spun out on the road and hit the guard rail. 18 Wheelers were flipping, it was intense. I like North Carolina weather alot better haha

93rollaracer
12-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Never had to deal with black ice before, but I've driven thru a few massive snow storms and it's always a fun experience. And by fun I mean I feel like stopping in the middle of the road and waiting for spring...but that's beside the point.

CBFryman
12-04-2005, 03:02 PM
we dont have black ice...hell we barely have ice.

TheStang00
12-04-2005, 03:54 PM
heh snows no problem, id actually prefer it over the black ice. i actually like driving the stang in snow... unless it gets stuck.

CBFryman
12-04-2005, 04:28 PM
stuck...haha...oh ya that kinda stuff hapens to you guys with cars and no LSD.

-Jayson-
12-04-2005, 10:51 PM
yeah black ice is alot worse than snow. With snow you know the road is slippery, with black ice, you dont. You cant see anything, the road might be totally dry where you were just driving, then boom its so slick nothing but momentium has control of the car. You cant see black ice, and its just as slippery as driving across a frozen lake with no snow.

TheStang00
12-04-2005, 11:32 PM
^^ exactly, that and the snow isnt near as slippery.

2000LS1Z28
12-05-2005, 12:24 AM
Wow, that sucks. Luckily no one was hurt. I thought mustangs came with limited slip differentials?

What year is your mustang, and is it a GT or a Cobra?

-Jayson-
12-05-2005, 12:56 AM
Wow, that sucks. Luckily no one was hurt. I thought mustangs came with limited slip differentials?

What year is your mustang, and is it a GT or a Cobra?

still doesnt do anything, imagine that instantly out of no where all 4 of your tires are like butter on a hot pan.

TheStang00
12-05-2005, 01:12 AM
well mustang gt's and cobras come with limited slip, a v6 doesnt, and thats what i have. so when the tire starts spinnin the back end shoots right.

edit- oh i forgot its a 2000

Add your comment to this topic!