Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

First vehicle...?

AChatham
12-03-2005, 05:30 PM
Just got a 2002 Blazer 4DR, 4WD...completely stock, my first vehicle:iceslolan, and am looking to make it a little more aggressive offroad.

A friend has suggested that I crank the torsion and put blocks on the back to give me around a 2 inch lift. And that I get some BFG All Terrains, slightly bigger than stock.

My question(s):

1) Is this fesaible/a good idea?

2) How much will parts for lift cost?

3) Will I experience problems with gas milage, maintnance, wear, and engine performance?

Thanks,
Alec

OverBoardProject
12-03-2005, 06:16 PM
I'd like to welcome you to Automotive Forum first. You might like it here.

And that's a great first ride.

Rule #1 here is your friend is Wrong.

If you crank the torsion bars you'll have a very stiff ride, and wear out your tires fast. 2 sets of tires are about the same price as a 2" suspension lift, and way more money than a body lift.

A 2" - 3" body lift will cost you somewhere around $100.US Some people just make their own and it works good
A proper 2" suspension lift starts around $600.00.
And a 6" suspension lift will cost almost $2000.00

None of these include labor charges. You can do the body lift yourself in a day easily. And possibly the 2" suspension lifts

If the job is done properly and your wheels alligned it shouldn't cost you much more to keep maintained.

They sell suspension lifts here
http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/GM_S10_4wd.htm
Shop around first though.

SBlazerNCS
12-03-2005, 06:23 PM
And with the rear leaf springs being under the axle, blocks woudn't lift it any anyway.

OverBoardProject
12-03-2005, 06:27 PM
True, and I never thought of that.

The kits use longer Shackles for the 2" lifts, and flip the axle to the other side of the springs for the high lifts.

Blazers have be heaviest duty shackles that I've ever noticed, and I wouldn't recomend changing them to cheapies

AChatham
12-04-2005, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the welcome, Ive been lurking for about a week or two now and figured I should go ahead and say hello :)

I was thinking more along the lines of a body lift, mostly because idk if Im ready to invest 600+ on sus. lift after ive just bought nice, new tires, afterall Im only 16 (though I am working at the moment). As much as I want performance I still want it to look good/sharp. Im new to all this (though I have always wanted a chevy) so Ill be asking alot of ?s

What pros and cons would I have with each setup, would I have to make many mods to get the body lift to look good? Will the suspension lift cause problems with part length, center of gravity, etc.? Ive been searching for a good body V suspension lift article, but never came up with one so I reckon Ill just ask.

Appreciate all the help!

OverBoardProject
12-04-2005, 10:29 AM
I'd just go with a body lift unless your planing on some med duty off roading.
They don't look as nice since the frame sticks down even further, but this can be ficced to a point with a can of good quality rust paint

Suspansion lifts get you a little more ground clearance undet the frame as well.

From what I understand most people easily do a body lift on their own using simple hand tools in less than a day, and really don't have to modify much more than the bumper brackets

AChatham
12-04-2005, 08:33 PM
Most of the body lifts I see have a warning similar to this: Rear bumper brackets are to enhance appearance only, bumper cannot be used for towing

So I wont be able to tow with out installing a hitch to the frame, right? If so thats another $100. I also noticed that most of the kits were closer to $200 (all by performance acc.). Not bitching, just trying to ask if thats what I should expect or if Im looking in the wrong places. Saw gap guards to cover up that space between frame and body, might I consider putting up some of those as well if I do end up liking how the blazer looks with the lift?

First on the agenda before I do any of this is to fix that clunk haha :cwm27:

dmbrisket 51
12-04-2005, 11:53 PM
well achatham, welcome abord, and as with any vehical, lifting gets expencive quick, looks realy good, and its realy fun, but be prepaired to spend some green backs, lifting will need longer flex hoses on breaks, drive shaft, steering shaft... but this all depends on how high you want to go, and how agressive you want to be, lifting isn't something i reccomend going with a 2'' untill you can afford the superlift 5 or 6'' that you want, save the money and do it once your wallet will thank you... how big are you looking? do you want looks or do you want to walk through that mud pit? either way we can help you succede

AChatham
12-07-2005, 04:49 PM
lifting isn't something i reccomend going with a 2'' untill you can afford the superlift 5 or 6'' that you want,
Thanks, but Im not looking to go that big haha. One day mabey, but today just aint that day. Im looking for a combination of looks and functionality from bigger tires/a small lift while still maintaining decent gas milage and ride quality.

dmbrisket 51
12-07-2005, 05:52 PM
well... it alwase LOOKS best 8'' higher, with a big block under the hood lol

Add your comment to this topic!