dealer only timing belt?

batcommander
12-03-2005, 02:53 AM
Hi,
I have a 2001 rio and it now has 65,000 miles on it. I got it used and it didn't have a warranty. I have been reading about the timing belt horror stories on this forum and am now stressing that this thing is going to go tomorrow and take my engine with it. I called the dealer and they want me to pay $375 to get it changed....it's christmas...things are tight...Do I need to get it replaced by a dealer? Or is this something any regular mechanic can do? Sorry dumb question I know..but I'm a single mom and know NOTHING about cars. I would apreciate any feedback!!! Thank you!!

prendy
12-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Hi,
I have a 2001 rio and it now has 65,000 miles on it. I got it used and it didn't have a warranty. I have been reading about the timing belt horror stories on this forum and am now stressing that this thing is going to go tomorrow and take my engine with it. I called the dealer and they want me to pay $375 to get it changed....it's christmas...things are tight...Do I need to get it replaced by a dealer? Or is this something any regular mechanic can do? Sorry dumb question I know..but I'm a single mom and know NOTHING about cars. I would apreciate any feedback!!! Thank you!!
hello i'm not a mechanic but i do know that most mechanics can change timing belts and will probably do it for half of what kia is asking to do the job

batcommander
12-05-2005, 06:35 PM
thank you!

prendy
12-06-2005, 12:08 AM
thank you!
your welcome!

rhynes
12-06-2005, 11:43 AM
Do get it done as soon as you can, any garage can do it... I have a 2002 and blew the timing belt at 87000 kms (52000 miles). kia mechanics have seen these things break regularly at 67000 to 70000 kms.

Basically the dealer had to replace the head, 2 pistons, bearings etc. I was fortunate and had a warranty, didn't cost me a cent.

batcommander
12-06-2005, 07:50 PM
Thanks guys for all your help! I will get it down asap...but It will have to wait until after christmas. I drive about 70 miles a day...so I am praying it will hold out that long!!! :uhoh:

MeettheCreeper
12-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Hi,

Word to the wise, have someone qualified do it. I have had cars towed to me after the T-belt was changed and installed incorrectly.

Caused severe engine damage.

Actually 375 is quite resonable. The belt is about 110 and normally the labor is approx 3 hours.

Some less, some more.

rhynes
12-07-2005, 03:41 PM
hmmm... silly question tho, it's verrrrry rare for a timing belt to go to 65000 miles (104000 kms)... are you positive it hasn't been done? Normally with the kia, you'll notice signs that the belt is weak/stretched and ready to break...

My engine light would come on, the car would stall and run rough. That started about 6000 kms before the belt snapped.

batcommander
12-07-2005, 08:02 PM
I am pretty sure it wasn't done before I bought the car because It only had 26,000 miles on it, and when I took it in to get the wheels replaced (after we almost died, and I found there was a recall!!) the service tech told me I needed to have it replaced at 60,000 miles. It was at 59,000 when he told me I needed to replace the belt.
I took it in to a mechanic just last week because my engine light came on and a little while later the car started to sputter and drive really slowwww. the mechanic said it was a bad spark wire or something and that it needed a tune up. I had to use the money that I was saving to change the belt so that I could drive the car...it's working great now...so hopefully it will hold out for me! I guess I should have asked the guy who worked on it to see how the belt was holding up...but I know nothing about cars and didn't think about it....oh well.

MeettheCreeper
12-08-2005, 08:34 AM
I am pretty sure it wasn't done before I bought the car because It only had 26,000 miles on it, and when I took it in to get the wheels replaced (after we almost died, and I found there was a recall!!) the service tech told me I needed to have it replaced at 60,000 miles. It was at 59,000 when he told me I needed to replace the belt.
I took it in to a mechanic just last week because my engine light came on and a little while later the car started to sputter and drive really slowwww. the mechanic said it was a bad spark wire or something and that it needed a tune up. I had to use the money that I was saving to change the belt so that I could drive the car...it's working great now...so hopefully it will hold out for me! I guess I should have asked the guy who worked on it to see how the belt was holding up...but I know nothing about cars and didn't think about it....oh well.

The ignition wires on the early models were subject to failure. I would not let that timing belt go for too much longer. Just think of the money you are going to have to spend if it breaks.

KMG9185
12-19-2005, 08:38 PM
Hi,
yeah the timing belt you do need to change.....i am a technician for kia and if you happen to live near lexington ky i will do it for 200 in my own garage........its not difficult to do.....any mechanic should be able to do it...

kevin

Niteflyer
07-25-2006, 04:53 AM
Is replacing the belt hard to do that you shouldn't do it yourself?

i just bought a used one with 106,000 miles on it and not sure about the belt although i did take the top cover off and it looked in perfect shape,at least what i could see of it.
it seems like it should be easy enough but don't want to take chances if you guys says it is dangerous for me to do so for the car.

thanks

geoman_25276
07-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Is replacing the belt hard to do that you shouldn't do it yourself?

i just bought a used one with 106,000 miles on it and not sure about the belt although i did take the top cover off and it looked in perfect shape,at least what i could see of it.
it seems like it should be easy enough but don't want to take chances if you guys says it is dangerous for me to do so for the car.

thanks I own a 01 rio with 146,000 miles on it with no major mech. work done on it yet, including not replaceing the timing belt. I might be running on borrowed time but just thought i'd put my 2 cents in. The check engine light does come on from time to time but I have no idea why, I havent the time to get it to the nearest dealer which happens to be 50 miles away. Gonna ride it out for the duration , time for a new one anyhow.

Add your comment to this topic!