Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Annoying noises while driving

icemike89
12-02-2005, 11:13 PM
Ok,I have 2 noises coming from my car when I first start driving,but then it goes away after a while.The first one is when I turn the wheels,it makes a very loud whinig noise.Thinking maybe bearings need to be lubed?The second is coming from the powersteering/belt area.Maybe belt tensioner pulley?Please help! It is them ost annoying sound ever.

Hoags
12-03-2005, 08:23 AM
Both noises are probably related to the power steering pump. The whinning noise is most likely the pump, have you had a chance to check the fluid? Is it low and more so does it get lew after it is filled. I had a whinny pump on a Montana and when I filled the pump it was fine, I did have a leak around the bottom of the pump where it was out of sight. As for the belt noise if the pump is low the pulley will react differently and therefor you may get a noise. If you cannot see anything at the P/S pump I would get it looked at by a professional, I would be willing to say that both issues are cooming from the P/S pump.

Let us know how things turn out

richtazz
12-03-2005, 08:41 AM
check your power steering fluid first, as it may be low. If your car has the electronic variable steering option, the EVO valve in the pump may be going bad, causing the whining noise.

icemike89
12-03-2005, 11:48 AM
I checked the fluid,and it was about 3/4 the way full.But I noticed a leak.I noticed that the sensor behind the pump was black and gritty,and I looked arond it and it was definitely a leak from the back.

deke1972
12-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Ok,I have 2 noises coming from my car when I first start driving,but then it goes away after a while.The first one is when I turn the wheels,it makes a very loud whinig noise.Thinking maybe bearings need to be lubed?The second is coming from the powersteering/belt area.Maybe belt tensioner pulley?Please help! It is them ost annoying sound ever.

Yeah mine did to until I told my g/f to be quiet that I wasn't that bad of a driver. J/K. Its most lilkly the fluid is low If the seal is bad you probably have a little difficulty steering.

icemike89
12-09-2005, 03:12 PM
I added a little fluid,and now it doesnt do it as often,and when it does it is not as loud and noticeable. There was no change in the steering though,it didnt get harder to turn or anything.

Add your comment to this topic!