Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 325i

gtarman
12-02-2005, 10:09 AM
Service engine comes on from time to time. Diagnostics indicate thermastat and cam sensor needed. Car will stall sometime but restarts immediatly. Repair shop says cam sensor can cause stalling, also car does not overheat. opinions please.

daniel 61
12-02-2005, 01:31 PM
Service engine comes on from time to time. Diagnostics indicate thermastat and cam sensor needed. Car will stall sometime but restarts immediatly. Repair shop says cam sensor can cause stalling, also car does not overheat. opinions please.
Did you notice, since it happened if the warming time of the engine (reaching normal temp.) take much longer as usual ? If yes you need a new thermostat(stacked open), usually it throws an error code P1624 ,for faulty thermostat.

gtarman
12-02-2005, 02:03 PM
Did you notice, since it happened if the warming time of the engine (reaching normal temp.) take much longer as usual ? If yes you need a new thermostat(stacked open), usually it throws an error code P1624 ,for faulty thermostat.
OK, that makes sense about the thermastat, it does take longer for the warming time. What is your opinion about the car stalling, it will die on takeoff and then you can restart with no problem. This doesnt happen all that frequently but is annoying.

daniel 61
12-02-2005, 02:34 PM
OK, that makes sense about the thermastat, it does take longer for the warming time. What is your opinion about the car stalling, it will die on takeoff and then you can restart with no problem. This doesnt happen all that frequently but is annoying.
I think they are right, you need also a new Camshaft Position sensor- error code P0164, that what they got after scannig,typical symptom(stalling), when it is faulty. It is gonna cost you for both parts(thermostat+sensor) couple of hundred bucks plus labour.

gtarman
12-02-2005, 03:47 PM
I think they are right, you need also a new Camshaft Position sensor- error code P0164, that what they got after scannig,typical symptom(stalling), when it is faulty. It is gonna cost you for both parts(thermostat+sensor) couple of hundred bucks plus labour. Thanks

gtarman
12-05-2005, 02:25 PM
I think they are right, you need also a new Camshaft Position sensor- error code P0164, that what they got after scannig,typical symptom(stalling), when it is faulty. It is gonna cost you for both parts(thermostat+sensor) couple of hundred bucks plus labour. Is the thermastat part Transmission or Housing and the cam shaft position sensor,exhaust or intake? thanks

daniel 61
12-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Is the thermastat part Transmission or Housing and the cam shaft position sensor,exhaust or intake? thanks
Most cases is exhaust which fails, but I do not know, you have to scan for codes. What do you mean transmission thermostat? I do not get it!you need a new thermostat!

gtarman
12-05-2005, 02:48 PM
Most cases is exhaust which fails, but I do not know, you have to scan for codes. What do you mean transmission thermostat? I do not get it!you need a new thermostat! ok, I have been checking on the cost of parts and was asked if it was a transmission or housing, didnt make sense to me either, however it appears repair shops in my area try to take advantage of the consumer.
Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!