Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Opening Shop Austin,TX

BGlude
12-02-2005, 09:37 AM
I am trying to get things together in order to open a unique custom shop here in Austin, TX. Austin has very few custom shops most of the time you end up going to more than one shop to get your car modified and configured how you really want it. I am trying to get some advice on how get a good head start and success in opening a shop? Any word of advice is good?

dogbreath077
12-03-2005, 06:59 PM
I am trying to get things together in order to open a unique custom shop here in Austin, TX. Austin has very few custom shops most of the time you end up going to more than one shop to get your car modified and configured how you really want it. I am trying to get some advice on how get a good head start and success in opening a shop? Any word of advice is good?

If you look in the "Car Jokes" section, I put a post about the cost of tools. There are a bunch of links there for tool companies. This is the one that I've been using for some equipment. they cut me a deal whenever I buy a few items at a time. Just fill out a shopping cart, but don't check out. Then Email them and ask them for a package deal. Every little bit helps. www.aktoolsandequipment.com

BGlude
12-06-2005, 02:22 PM
If you look in the "Car Jokes" section, I put a post about the cost of tools. There are a bunch of links there for tool companies. This is the one that I've been using for some equipment. they cut me a deal whenever I buy a few items at a time. Just fill out a shopping cart, but don't check out. Then Email them and ask them for a package deal. Every little bit helps. www.aktoolsandequipment.com

Thanks for your reponse, I will certainly be using this type of advice. Tools and Equipment are in the top of the to do list.

What I am finding the hardest is how to develop my idea into the real thing. I know what I want to do and bring but how and where do I begin.

2AZN4U
01-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks for your reponse, I will certainly be using this type of advice. Tools and Equipment are in the top of the to do list.

What I am finding the hardest is how to develop my idea into the real thing. I know what I want to do and bring but how and where do I begin.

I'm no shop owner but, when starting a business, spend the extra cash on advertisement. It helps a lot...telephone books, fliers, if you know anyone that owns their own business give them fliers and cards, maybe even give them to your friends or associates, maybe even start off by giving a reference discount. It is going to be hard at first but after the first couple of years, when the clientel is up and booming, ya should be good. Always ALWAYS keep a good name with your customers. Please them any way possible even if ya wanna say F*ck off and kick their car :evillol: Also you need to start researching for a location and get average costs of utilities and so forth. Maybe you should even start kinda cheap, find a couple people that want some crazy or hard work done, cut them a deal, and get it done for them. The better the show the better the customers ya know?

*edit*
Ahh yes also, I believe you need some license for opening up a body shop also, such as OSHA and some sort of Chemical certificate for the paints and stuff. Not TOO sure, but I would assume that someone needs to inspect your garage before opening date. Maybe call City Hall and ask them, they may be able to help you or direct you about the state laws upon this sort of thing.

BGlude
01-18-2006, 10:32 AM
Good advise, I appreciate that!

Hopefully I can start soon, I am looking for a good location cause that is a very important factor to start this type of business. Most of the shops here in Austin are hidden in and small . I am really going to look into advertising as much as possible when the time comes, advertising is big when opening a new business. My whole thing is to bring something new and unique to the Austin area. I dont want a custom shop I want to bring a custom shop and alot more to a centralized shop.

Any feedback, comments is truly welcome.

Thanks!

Add your comment to this topic!