Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

paint questions (always been wondering)

jveik
12-01-2005, 12:39 PM
ok, so i got the lacquer on the cab and am working on getting the sanding done. i have a few questions though

1) is it ok to rinse dry sanding residue off lacquer primer with a hose without it rusting as long as i dry all the puddles in the cab right away?

2) can i wet sand lacquer primer without risking rust under the primer?

3) some people have said that base/clearcoat systems dont work well with lacquer primer under them. Is this true? I have been planning on using a base/clearcoat system and i already am pretty far along with the laquer primer, so i dont really want to have to strip the cab again and start with a different primer.

4) is it worth the time to put a coat or two of sealer over the lacquer when i get done with all the fine sanding?

5) i have had problems with my gravity feed hvlp gun spraying very dry. what psi range should i probably be in, i have been using up to 40 psi which i think is probably the problem. also, maybe i should thin it more? i havent been using the 50/50 ratio of paint to thinner they say to use on the can, but maybe i should?

i cant think of any other questions for now, but im sure there will be more soon lol as i remember them

thanks for taking the time to read all this long post. any ideas or advice are welcome. thanks again

PBking82
12-01-2005, 06:51 PM
Yes you can rinse the sanding residue offf without worring about rust(try using a "sticky rag" also.)

Yes you can wet sand the primer(the only time you need to worry about corrosion is when it is continuily exposed to weather or it is not dried properly. Try using a squeege it does wonders.)

You can use a BC/CC over laquer without any problems.

Drop the PSI a little and deffinetly thin your mix down to 50/50(50/50 will make a huge difference.)

No problem with the questions bro, better to ask then just assmue and waste all that time and money. Peace-

jveik
12-01-2005, 08:12 PM
thanks for the advice. Sadly, i cant paint until next april probably due to my crappy temperatures in the garage. (i live in omaha, nebraska) Maybe ill try to get the spot putty done, its a huge pain in the ass right now, i cant seem to get it smooth lol, always waves in it again every time i sand it down. I guess ill get it eventually. Thanks again for the advice...

PBking82
12-01-2005, 09:49 PM
Try using a torpedo heater(if you can afford one) that is how i keep running the shop(my home garage) all winter. That thing gets it nice and toasty in there. As far as the "spot puddy" goes(i assume you mean bondo) it takes some time but you'll get it. Are you hand sanding or using a DA? I recomend using as little as possible then hand sand it. Peace-

jveik
12-04-2005, 03:12 PM
i have been using a block sander with about 220 grit on it. i might be able to borrow my friend's kerosene job site heater that contractors use. its the one that looks like a jet or something lol its pretty cool. id just have to be sure not to blow myself up and stuff, lol

Add your comment to this topic!