Vq35de In A Z32

mongooze
12-01-2005, 12:46 AM
will it drop right in? custom mounts? i know custom driveshaft, exhaust etc. do i use the 350z harness/ecu my guages work. any other things i need done, besides the basics, can i use a z32 na/tt fuel pump. any other fun stuff i need to know about

1viadrft
12-01-2005, 12:54 AM
C'mon, dude... 'Will it drop right in'???? Slap yourself.

First of all: YES! You would need complete customization! YES! You need the ECU, Harness, and a complete customized gauge panel! Just like in any other far-fetched engine swap.

Secondly: WHY???????? A VG30DETT would/will/does make more power than any VQ35DE ever will with less effort.

Thirdly: Keep your VQ35DE in a 350Z... you probably won't even do this swap!

1viadrft
12-01-2005, 01:00 AM
C'mon, dude... 'Will it drop right in'???? Slap yourself.

First of all: YES! You would need complete customization! YES! You need the ECU, Harness, and a complete customized gauge panel! Just like in any other far-fetched engine swap.

Secondly: WHY???????? A VG30DETT would/will/does make more power than any VQ35DE ever will with less effort.

Thirdly: Keep your VQ35DE in a 350Z... you most likely won't even do this swap!

edit

DeleriousZ
12-01-2005, 01:55 AM
lol... yeah dude, completely not worth it in any way unless you're wanting to be 'unique' and in that case.. swap in an rb26dett or something... some other engine that has the modding power of the vg30dett does.. all in all, useless swap

george, that's what the button 2 to the left of the one you just clicked is for...

k3smostwanted
12-01-2005, 03:59 AM
yeah, the VQ is weak for easy modibility. it take a $6000+ turbo kit or a $5000 supercharger set-up to even get that thing to make good numbers. by good numbers i mean 400rwhp+.

the VG30DETT can do that without breaking a sweat, on stock turbos, and stock internalled motor.

Hodo
12-01-2005, 11:06 AM
Ok I had to post on this one.
I had worked up plans on a VQ35DE swap, but the total cost would be just shy of 12k dollars with turbo kit and propper install doing all the work myself. Things you will need is a complete engine with trans and mounts, custom drive shaft, electric fan, with radiator and custom piping, and wiring for the electronic throttle unit and the throttle peddle out of 350Z. This is the main reason why I scrapped it, because I hate electronic throttles, and cant find a way to install the VG30DE's intake plenum on the VQ35DE. So I have since started shopping around to find a Gloria front clip, and details on the VQ30DETs intake plenum setup, and see if I can delete its electronic throttle unit.

And to those of you who say a VQ35DE cant make the power of the VG30DETT, you are right and wrong. The VQ is potentialy a FAR more powerful engine, if built to handle boost, this would mean a lower compression ratio, and ECU remapping. But the .5 extra liters of displacement will help a GREAT deal when making power with boost. Lets compair the VG30DE to the VQ35DE, both have close to the same compression ratios, yet one makes 222HP and 198ft./tq, the other makes 300hp and 280ft./tq. Hmm thats almost a 80HP increase just from half a liter of displacement. lets take this same math to that of boost. A conservative propperly built VQ35DETT could make around 450HP and 370ft./tq!!! Those are some pretty beasty baseline numbers before you start doing any tuning to it. The other saving grace for the VQ is the fact it is a aluminum block not a iron block and therefor lighter....... this could also be a downside in the long run. The Aluminum block may not like that much boost, and may fail more often than the iron block VG. Kinda one of those wait and see things. One thing is for sure, we will see what a VQ35DETT can do in the near future with the Skyline coming up soon.

Hodo
12-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Oh I belive you can use the existing TT Z32 fuelpump, or the NA pump. But wiring maybe a bit different. Also you are going from a OBD I car to a OBDII engine setup. You will NEED custom exhaust and a extra 2 o2sensors. Otherwise you will have ALL sorts of engine codes caused by it. Trust me the VQ35DE is a good idea, but a REALLY expensive and difficult one.

All other calculations I estimated the VQ35DE wieghs about 150-200lbs less than the VG30DETT, this will lighten the front end of the car a bit and shave about .2 seconds off of the 1/4mile time. So it should run close to 14.3-14.9 stock. Your off throttle performance will be a bit better than the VG30DETT but that is the same for all NA engines vs Turbo engines.

xXxRocker5150
12-01-2005, 05:50 PM
wait a second mang, the 350z only runs 14s in the 1/4... I thought it ran high 13s... meh oh well

Hodo
12-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Rocker, the 350Z might run high 13s stock, but the Z32 with a VQ35DE will still weigh more than a Z33 therefore run slower, all other factors the same. That and it is always to error on the conservative side than on the aggressive side and look like a idiot.

xXxRocker5150
12-07-2005, 10:07 PM
ahhhh I see what ya mean, thanks for the clear-up

1viadrft
12-08-2005, 12:06 AM
So in other words:

Z32 with VQ35DE = CRAPPOLA!

Z32 with VG30DETT = Muy Bueno!

Comprende?

xXxRocker5150
12-08-2005, 03:16 PM
z32TT = tons of chocha (I hope I spelled that right)
z32 with vq35 = slower than freak jackin' off wes in a civic

k3smostwanted
12-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Ok I had to post on this one.
I had worked up plans on a VQ35DE swap, but the total cost would be just shy of 12k dollars with turbo kit and propper install doing all the work myself. Things you will need is a complete engine with trans and mounts, custom drive shaft, electric fan, with radiator and custom piping, and wiring for the electronic throttle unit and the throttle peddle out of 350Z. This is the main reason why I scrapped it, because I hate electronic throttles, and cant find a way to install the VG30DE's intake plenum on the VQ35DE. So I have since started shopping around to find a Gloria front clip, and details on the VQ30DETs intake plenum setup, and see if I can delete its electronic throttle unit.

And to those of you who say a VQ35DE cant make the power of the VG30DETT, you are right and wrong. The VQ is potentialy a FAR more powerful engine, if built to handle boost, this would mean a lower compression ratio, and ECU remapping. But the .5 extra liters of displacement will help a GREAT deal when making power with boost. Lets compair the VG30DE to the VQ35DE, both have close to the same compression ratios, yet one makes 222HP and 198ft./tq, the other makes 300hp and 280ft./tq. Hmm thats almost a 80HP increase just from half a liter of displacement. lets take this same math to that of boost. A conservative propperly built VQ35DETT could make around 450HP and 370ft./tq!!! Those are some pretty beasty baseline numbers before you start doing any tuning to it. The other saving grace for the VQ is the fact it is a aluminum block not a iron block and therefor lighter....... this could also be a downside in the long run. The Aluminum block may not like that much boost, and may fail more often than the iron block VG. Kinda one of those wait and see things. One thing is for sure, we will see what a VQ35DETT can do in the near future with the Skyline coming up soon.

yeah, the VQ sucks for making easy/cheap power. but techinically it is capable of making more power easier than the VG. there are a few minor problems that make building the VQ up to higher HP numbers than the VG.

first, the 350Z's fuel managment interferes at around 600rwhp. i dont know if this ha been resolved yet or not but the last thing i heard was that people were having problems building a 1000whp Z33.

also the stock internals on the VQ are absolutely weak. i have seen bent rods at 400rwhp range. BENT! pistons are also garbage as i have been told.

basically to build up a VQ will cost ALOT more to build than a similar HP VG. BUT, the VQ is capable of making more power easier.

i say, the VG30DETT is a great motor...why swap it in favor of something that will just be a money pit.

an n/a 2 seater Z32 weighs the same as a 350Z but with better gearing. i would expect a VQ35DE powered 2 seater Z32 to run a mid 13.

Add your comment to this topic!