Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 1500 Reliability/Trouble spots?

Racing Rice
11-30-2005, 08:31 AM
I'm toying with the idea of buying a 2001 Ram 1500. It is a Standard cab 4x4, V8, automatic, Sport model. I love the looks of it, and it only has about 34,000 miles on it. The only problem is my family seems to be cursed on buying Daimler/Chrysler vehicles so I'm a little leary about anything from them.

Are there any specific things I should look at or know about this thing before I buy it? Obviously, I'll try to get a Carfax report. Consumer Guide doesn't really say anything about reliability issues for this year other then a rattle, but I've heard a lot of complaints about transmission problems.

Any info would be appreciated!

andy2005
12-01-2005, 04:40 PM
I have the exact same truck, with about 77,000 miles on it. I bought it from the origional owner who assured me he never had any problems with it except for a power window switch.

However, I have had a few problems with it. Five days after I had it the AC evaporator core went out of it, costing me about $700.00. A few months later it had a coolant leak around the thermostat housing, that was another $160.00. Now it has something ratteling, I think maybe a motor mount. The good news is that it has never failed to the point where it wouldn't run or I couldn't drive it. Believe it or not, for 2001, Consumer Reports give Dodge a higher reliability rating than Chevy.

30-30man
12-01-2005, 05:43 PM
I have a 2002 with a 5.9 and it has 56,000 miles. The 5.2, 5.9 were good engines. It's just the piece of dung that is attached to it. Mine shifts wierd all the time. It downshifts with a clunk. The dealership has replaced every sensor in the transmission and even the entire pcm. It's at the dealership right now having a new transmission installed. After the installation, it will be sold. It's an electrical nightmare and has never been right since day one. I guess all trucks have problems but read about the 46re before you buy. If possible try to get the 4.7, it has a different transmission all together. There are very few people who get more than 100,000 miles on a 46re. I drove a 4.7 4wd and it seemed stronger than my 5.9 gas hog. Dodge makes good trucks but stay very far away from the 46re because thier history is not good. My .002 :2cents:

Racing Rice
12-06-2005, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the info. Mom and Dad have a 2000 Durango that they have had similar problems with as you Andy. One of the windows only rolls down when it feels like it. The transmission shifts funny. I know they had problems with the AC as well, however I don't remember exactly what went out on that.

Thanks for the info on the 46RE. I'll have to call the dealer and find out what motor is in it. I know its a V8, but I'm not sure what size.

Thanks again.

dksob81
08-27-2006, 05:45 PM
I have the exact same truck, with about 77,000 miles on it. I bought it from the origional owner who assured me he never had any problems with it except for a power window switch.

However, I have had a few problems with it. Five days after I had it the AC evaporator core went out of it, costing me about $700.00. A few months later it had a coolant leak around the thermostat housing, that was another $160.00. Now it has something ratteling, I think maybe a motor mount. The good news is that it has never failed to the point where it wouldn't run or I couldn't drive it. Believe it or not, for 2001, Consumer Reports give Dodge a higher reliability rating than Chevy.

The rattling noise your are hear, does it change with engine speed?

I just fixed a rattling noise on my boss' 99 Ram 5.9L, the torque Converter bolts were hitting against the flywheel inspection plate. I looked at it a month ago and couldn't find a problem because it was not doing it at the time I looked at it, he said it was intermittant, well yesterday he asked me to look at it again because for the last few weeks it has been pretty constant. I heard the noise and assumed right away that it was the TC bolts came loose, so I removed the plate and all the bolts for the TC were tight. Then looked at the inspection plate and could see right where the bolts were hittin, notched that part of the plate out and put it back together and no noise. Something for you to check out.

dksob81
08-27-2006, 05:51 PM
I have a 2002 with a 5.9 and it has 56,000 miles. The 5.2, 5.9 were good engines. It's just the piece of dung that is attached to it. Mine shifts wierd all the time. It downshifts with a clunk. The dealership has replaced every sensor in the transmission and even the entire pcm. It's at the dealership right now having a new transmission installed. After the installation, it will be sold. It's an electrical nightmare and has never been right since day one. I guess all trucks have problems but read about the 46re before you buy. If possible try to get the 4.7, it has a different transmission all together. There are very few people who get more than 100,000 miles on a 46re. I drove a 4.7 4wd and it seemed stronger than my 5.9 gas hog. Dodge makes good trucks but stay very far away from the 46re because thier history is not good. My .002 :2cents:

Maybe Chrysler should have stuck with the hydro controlled trannies...lol
I have a 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ 5.2 and the 46RH tranny it has a lil over 216,000 miles on it without any tranny problems.

andy2005
08-27-2006, 10:32 PM
The rattling noise your are hear, does it change with engine speed?

I just fixed a rattling noise on my boss' 99 Ram 5.9L, the torque Converter bolts were hitting against the flywheel inspection plate. I looked at it a month ago and couldn't find a problem because it was not doing it at the time I looked at it, he said it was intermittant, well yesterday he asked me to look at it again because for the last few weeks it has been pretty constant. I heard the noise and assumed right away that it was the TC bolts came loose, so I removed the plate and all the bolts for the TC were tight. Then looked at the inspection plate and could see right where the bolts were hittin, notched that part of the plate out and put it back together and no noise. Something for you to check out.

Wow, I posted about that like nine months ago, a lot has changed since then. The rattle got to be so annoying that I took it to a local garage. Come to find out, it was something in the transmission linkage, and it is a fairly common problem among Dodge trucks of that year. It was a pretty simple fix, all they had to do was put an additional spring in it. I don't remember how much it cost, but it wasn't much. Thanks anyway!

wafrederick
08-28-2006, 05:33 PM
There is one thing to check,the bottom transmission line towards the radatior and it is the rubber hose part.There is a nylon checkball in that line and there is one thing to do with that checkball:GET RID OF IT!The problem with that nylon checkball is that is melts and will plug the line right up.Take a long #2 phillips screwdriver to pop it out or drill it out,blow it out after drilling it out and most transmission shops will say to get rid of that nylon checkball.

imtheoneandonlyD
08-28-2006, 08:52 PM
my 99 5.9 had 120k on it when i traded it in. Only problem it ever gave me a was a heater core

Add your comment to this topic!