Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 S-10 Blazer Tahoe/Runs but dies...

cozmic187
11-29-2005, 05:33 PM
I have an odd problem with my Blazer and I am wondering if anyone has experienced it also. While driving a weak ago it started bogging, almost starving for fuel. It lasted for about 15 minutes until the truck died. I tried to start it and all it would do is turn over. After the truck sat for about an hour it would start and run for about 2-3 minutes then it would stall out. It would turn over again and start as if it was starving for fuel.
The next day it would run for an hour and a half at idle with no problem at all. I took it for a test drive and it died within a half hour with the same problem. I had the fuel pump and the fuel filter replaced. After replacing those parts I drove it for 5 miles and it stalled out with the same problem. If anyone has heard of the problem or know something I can try please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Gabe25
11-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Check your EGR valve. Make sure that it moves freely and there is no carbon blocking the plunger. Replace with new gasket. Then check to see if your CPI is not leaking. Check your upper Plenum for washing on the inside. Here is a good link to help you along.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=473110

Rick Norwood
11-30-2005, 06:50 PM
I have an odd problem with my Blazer and I am wondering if anyone has experienced it also. While driving a weak ago it started bogging, almost starving for fuel. It lasted for about 15 minutes until the truck died. I tried to start it and all it would do is turn over. After the truck sat for about an hour it would start and run for about 2-3 minutes then it would stall out. It would turn over again and start as if it was starving for fuel.
The next day it would run for an hour and a half at idle with no problem at all. I took it for a test drive and it died within a half hour with the same problem. I had the fuel pump and the fuel filter replaced. After replacing those parts I drove it for 5 miles and it stalled out with the same problem. If anyone has heard of the problem or know something I can try please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Ignition Module in the distributor.

grdnday
12-19-2005, 10:17 PM
Ignition Module in the distributor.
I had the same problem. If your vehicle is a 4.3L, then it is probably the fuel spider that is located under the Vortec cover. The spider costs anywhere between $250-$450. Be very careful in following the directions for installing the spider. The directions call for disconnecting all of the wiring harness plug-ins before you remove the Vortec cover. Be sure you do that, otherwise in a high mileage vehicle some of the wiring may break and create electrical problems when you fold the vortec cover back on itself. grdnday

jsgold
12-19-2005, 10:31 PM
I went through the same exact process. I did not have a fuel pressure tester and was convinced it was fuel related. Was ignition module. However, you need a fuel pressure test and check inside plenum to be sure it is not a fuel issue. The igniton module is very small and is inside distributor. If fuel pressure OK and no visable problems in plenum you should be able to have it tested. Get a Haynes manual to help guide you. Borrow or buy a fuel pressure tester.

cozmic187
01-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Thank you for your help. I tried a few things and looked at the cost of the "spider" and decided to retire the truck into my yard till spring. I picked up a 1995 Blazer LT for $4,000 with 131,000 miles on it.

93LT
01-08-2006, 11:25 AM
There is a GM parts distributor on Ebay that you can buy the Injector assembly, Gaskets and nut kits for around 300 shipped, with a GM part reciept in case of warranty issues. That is about the cheapest you would find.

93LT
01-08-2006, 11:26 AM
I see you already bought a 1995 model. For you information, the !992-!995 (yes first and second gen. Blazers), with the "W" (for the eight digit in the vin) CPI engine have the same problem. 1996 and newer went to an updated injector system.

cozmic187
01-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Thank you. I will check it out this spring when the snow melts and I can get it into the garage.

cozmic187
01-09-2006, 05:05 AM
Thank you for the info on the "W". I will have money put away for this fix.
I like the style of the 1995 over the 1994. I looked at it and to get the 1994 back up and running I needed a new exhaust system, front breaks (calipers and rotors), the electric 4-wheel drive “chip” (I don’t remember the name but it looks like a solenoid on a starter), and new bumper and grill (slight mishap while having it towed). It would of cost me about as much for the repairs than it did for the new one.

Add your comment to this topic!