How much can I boost my unmodified WRX?

anotherRex
06-02-2002, 05:53 AM
Could anyone tell me how much can I boost my unmodified WRX (not STi version)?

I meant boost and can still safely drive everyday use (not blow away the engine).

I have changed some parts a bit:

1) changed standard turbo to VF22
2) installed UNICHIP and a modify box which currently boost at 14 psi

My target is 17 psi, is it safe to do that?

Gonthrax
06-02-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by anotherRex
Could anyone tell me how much can I boost my unmodified WRX (not STi version)?

I meant boost and can still safely drive everyday use (not blow away the engine).

I have changed some parts a bit:

1) changed standard turbo to VF22
2) installed UNICHIP and a modify box which currently boost at 14 psi

My target is 17 psi, is it safe to do that?

I beleave 17psi is the rated max boost for the stock turbos. I'd play it safe and shoot for 16.5. Perhaps set it up to run 17 for a little bit in a few gears but thats up to you. If it were me I'd target 16.5 psi and wait on a some gasgets, IC, and such, then go for 18 or 19.

Woops, just noticed you upgraded turbo, so I'd say 17 would be OK... Wouldn't go much higher then that with stock internals though just to play it safe and be nice to your engine :)

Welcome to AF also :wave:

Super Spec V
06-05-2002, 01:52 PM
I have upgraded the fuel pressure regulator and used 112 octane fuel, and i was able to run 20psi at the track, but not for the whole day.

If you are planning to run 17psi on the street for everyday driving...be careful, because that is alot of boost for an engine that can only run on pump fuel. Get a boost controller with high and low settings, and then set the low for steet, and the high for SUPER STREET.

PS
WELCOME TO AF!!

Racing Rice
06-11-2002, 10:34 AM
You may also want to get it tuned after turning up the boost to ensure your running at safe levels.

Oz
06-13-2002, 06:36 AM
Get your A/F ratios checked and remapped at that level. If any probs., upgrade to a bigger (pref. front mount) intercooler.

Gonthrax
06-13-2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by ozriceboy
Get your A/F ratios checked and remapped at that level. If any probs., upgrade to a bigger (pref. front mount) intercooler.

Mmmm Front mount :D

Strange, I know 3 ppl with WRXs, and none of them want to switch to a front mount! Of course one of them doesn't want to get an Intake 'cause he wants to do all sorts of other things and is afraid "gettin an intake will make him run to lean" :rolleyes:

Super Spec V
06-14-2002, 10:03 AM
The REX runs very rich from factory, so i dont thinki that an intake will make him run lean enough that he will notice the difference. If hes worried cause he wants to raise the boost....tell him to use good fuel, and he will be ok.;)

Gonthrax
06-14-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Super Spec V
The REX runs very rich from factory, so i dont thinki that an intake will make him run lean enough that he will notice the difference. If hes worried cause he wants to raise the boost....tell him to use good fuel, and he will be ok.;)

Yea, he already knows it runs rich stock so I don't know why he's worried. Furthermore he wants to get a s-AFC so I don't see what the problem is :D Right now we are running 16.5 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 16 on up. (Just 'cause I can't get it to hit 16.5 in 4th and 5th :mad: )

rex4ev
07-06-2002, 01:45 AM
check out these sites,
http://www.turboxs.com/
http://www.vishnuperformance.com/welcome.htm

the stock injectors cant handle much more than 17psi of boost, your new turbo is probably going to take them to their limits quick, so i would recommend an apexi-afc, exhaust temp gauge, and bigger injectors/upgraded fuel system. this will ensure reliability and keep your engine from detonating.

marks944
07-31-2002, 04:19 PM
We've installed superchips in otherwise stock WRXs and have run them as high as 20 psi without a problem. however, we do set the boost to 16 psi and let the owners go from there.

illracer
07-31-2002, 10:52 PM
Ordinarily I'd say 17 is a bit high for a stock WRX but with an IHI VF22 you should be able to support 17 without much difficulty. Also running higher octane gas will advance the ecu's timing but 112 is a bit high. To be honest I've never seen anything as high as 112 in unleaded. I'd say you should be straight for an even 17 but not that much higher without fuel components or else you'll run into some mad detonation at high rpms.

Shaji
11-17-2002, 12:20 PM
get new fuel injectors before u do anything else for gods sake!!

marks944
11-17-2002, 02:00 PM
I have done many installs on these beasts, and even with stock turbos, 17 is doable!! Also as far as injectors, the stock injectors work fine at this range. I've installed STI injectors, but only in more highly modified cars! In addition to that, we installed a fuel pump from a Toyota Supra Turbo, to increase fuel delivery. As far as front mount intercoolers, don't waste your money! install a Turbo XS top mount or similar, replace your scoop with an STI, and install a diverter! Then if you want, run your windshield washer pump line to the tomoune, install a spray type washer nozzle, and you have an way to keep the temp of the intercooler down on those warm days! Just remember to switch back in cold weather, and use w/w antifreeze to prevent freezing!!:D

Add your comment to this topic!