Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 geo metro Won't start

pnelson5
11-29-2005, 03:39 PM
My 93 geo metro recently died on me while I was idling at a stoplight. The engine turns over but will not start. It seems as if there is no spark. I replaced the distributor cap and rotor, spark plugs and wires within the last year. I just went to a junk yard and replaced the ignition coil so I can't guarantee it works. In my reasearch I come across people talking about an ignition fuse. Does anyone know which fuse this is and where it is at in the fuse box. I want to rule that out before anything else.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I do think that I am getting fuel to the first spark plug so I am not thinking it is a FI problem.
Help me save my economical mean machine!

Crvett69
11-29-2005, 08:04 PM
if you pull the dist cap off and crank the motor does the rotor turn?

spy1309
11-30-2005, 06:53 AM
Corvette suspects a broken timming belt.

pnelson5
11-30-2005, 11:19 AM
if you pull the dist cap off and crank the motor does the rotor turn?

While I haven't specifically checked to see if the rotor turns, I don't think it is. I have had the distributor cap off quite a few times in this struggle to get it started. I beleive the rotor has been in the same place every time.

I have not checked the timing belt. I will do that this evening.
Thanks for the replies.

spy1309
12-02-2005, 06:53 AM
Well there you go is almost imposiblle for the rotor to stop in the same place after you cranked the engine a few times unless you crank with surgical timming.

pnelson5
12-02-2005, 09:59 AM
I verified last night that the rotor is definitely not moving. Is this surely indicative of a broken timing belt? Is there an easy way to verify or look at the belt? Any references on-line on how to do this. I don't think I'm mechanically inclined enough to replace it myself. I'm in limbo between taking it to the shop or buying a new car. Thanks for all your help.

DOCTORBILL
12-02-2005, 01:12 PM
I verified last night that the rotor is definitely not
moving. Is this surely indicative of a broken timing belt? Is there an
easy way to verify or look at the belt? Any references on-line on how
to do this. I don't think I'm mechanically inclined enough to replace it
myself. I'm in limbo between taking it to the shop or buying a new car.
Thanks for all your help.

A '93 3 cylinder engine timing belt is one of the easiest things to replace
except maybe spark plugs!

If you are not mechanically inclined, a shop can do it EASILY with one
hour OR LESS time involved.

The belt costs maybe $30. Hopefully the engine was not damaged
if the timing belt broke as I understand it is what is called an
"interference" engine.

A Chilton Manual shows how to replace the timing belt. The only
really, really important thing is getting the timing marks to go where
they should before you try restarting the engine.

I replaced my timing belt - no worries. Mine didn't break, however,
so I didn't have the possibility of valve damage.

A mechanic should be able to tell you quickly if the engine is OK and
the charge should be around $100 (total out the door!) to put on a
new belt.

If you suffered damage due to the "Interference" of valves and pistons
slamming together, then all bets are off......

Many other participants in this forum can speak to any problems that
can occur with timing belts breaking with an 'Interference' engine.

DoctorBill

Crvett69
12-02-2005, 01:31 PM
the 3 cyl engine is a non interferance engine so you won't have any bent valves. the dohc engine in the swifts is but no worries on the metros. book shows 1.1 hours to change it. a mechanic will charge somewhere around $300 to change it and they will want to replace your water pump and idler pully at the same time. if you decide to do it yourself see if you have 5 small bolts holding damper on or 4, they use different belts

gumby_ct
12-02-2005, 06:12 PM
the 3 cyl engine is a non interferance engine ... book shows 1.1 hours to change it. a mechanic will charge somewhere around $300 .. and they will want to replace your water pump and idler pully ...
I was wondering if the Metro had a non interferance engine. Thank you for clearing that up Crvett69.

As Dr. Bill indicated it not a difficult job - However it IS absolutely imperative that you know how to line up TDC. If you are asking what is TDC either have a friend who has (succesfully) done at least one help you or bring it to a garage. Hopefully an experienced garage.

I have seen garages screw up timing belts many times before. If they don't know what they are doin - you will be out your money AND the car will still NOT be running.

Life is a learning experience.

Good Luck,
Gumby_CT

cggreen47274
12-02-2005, 06:45 PM
i changed my timing belt in about a hour please note that the crank seal is held in by the gear drive for the belt check it before you install belt make sure its all the way in if not real bad oil leak will happen i found this out from experence

Add your comment to this topic!