Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rubbed windows

masphx
11-29-2005, 11:44 AM
I have a 2000 camaro 3.8 with manual roll windows. I have had the car since the begining of 2001 and roll the windows up and down all the time. I don't really like using the air conditioning. I got the windows tinted 20 on the tint scale I would say about 2.5 yrs. ago at a tint shop that I belive did a pretty good job, ( I watched the installer do it.)
Well for a wile now I have relised and it has gotten bad that the window looks dirty or rubbed. It looks really bad against the dark tinted window but I can't tell what it is. I have gone to a dealership and they didnot know. I can't tell if its the window tint or the wintow but it looks ingraved in the window. Is there anything I can do to fix this??

Matt365
11-29-2005, 05:06 PM
and u cant get it off with window cleaner?

if not its probably ur tint is going bad and fading, or you put something on there that was not supposed to come in contact with the tint.

kahjdh
11-30-2005, 04:11 PM
I used goof off (goo gone?) when i took it off of my friends truck. Gets it off good.

masphx
11-30-2005, 10:30 PM
I used goof off (goo gone?) when i took it off of my friends truck. Gets it off good.

Is that to take off the window tint?? I don't want to take the tint off becasue what if its not the problem. Is it normal for the window to do this. it looks like crap and its only 5 yrs. old.

Matt365
12-02-2005, 07:15 PM
window tint only lasts about 5 years...

masphx
12-02-2005, 09:35 PM
window tint only lasts about 5 years...

No, the car is 5 yrs old. The tint is around 2.5 at most 3yrs. It just the window should not look like this. I have not done anything extrem with them.

Rally Sport
12-02-2005, 09:40 PM
So just a question.. you have tried window cleaner?

masphx
12-02-2005, 11:50 PM
Ya just windex or something like that. I don't know if your thinking about something better but if there is and if your think it will work please tell me. I also took some pictures of the windows but they didnot come out that well. how do I attach the pictures?

Rally Sport
12-03-2005, 12:12 AM
You can go here.. www.imageshack.us put your pictures in there and you can then copy the URL that it shows up and post it on here.

masphx
12-03-2005, 01:45 AM
Well thx for the help, here are the two pics.

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/7469/p10001892fg.jpg

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/943/p10001909bl.jpg

Rally Sport
12-03-2005, 02:58 AM
I see what you mean now. Looks like your weatherstripping is the culprit or whatever its called. Try maybe some auto window cleaner, im not sure if it's different than windex but it should probably get it done, if not then wait for someone elses suggestions.

goldz28
12-03-2005, 03:48 AM
When i got my windows tinted they said not to use anything with amonia in it, it will discolor the tint.

victimizati0n
12-03-2005, 06:14 AM
to be honost, it looks like smeared hard water stains or something.

it does look like the little ruber pieces at the bottom of the window put those marks there.

try cleaning the outside of the glass with a strong cleaner.

goldz28
12-03-2005, 06:26 AM
My rear window kinda looks like that too. The way to get rid of it is a window acid wash, I would try that but have a pro do it so you don't mess up your paint etc.

Viper_Storm
12-03-2005, 08:10 AM
so the marks are just on the out side?

masphx
12-03-2005, 08:03 PM
so the marks are just on the out side?

Ya I think so, The only way that I know this is when I wash the car and water is on the window the area with the "wear" pushes the water off it first, like water can't stick to that area. Becasue of that I think its on the out side and not the window tint.

masphx
12-04-2005, 04:14 PM
My rear window kinda looks like that too. The way to get rid of it is a window acid wash, I would try that but have a pro do it so you don't mess up your paint etc.

what kind of places do this and at what cost?

victimizati0n
12-04-2005, 04:46 PM

just go to the parts store and get a good cleaner.

just dont get it on your tint, and it should be fine

goldz28
12-07-2005, 06:00 AM
Where I live the detail shop does it. I am not sure how much, You can use it to get water spots off paint also. Go to a parts store and see if you can buy it your self. Its some kind of acid wash, really good stuff. Got this off a web site
76. Cleaning hard water spots from glass
Use a solution of vinegar and ammonia to pre-soak. Use Zud powder to wipe the spots. I have found it works well where heavy spotting from a sprinkler system occurred.
80. Window cleaning from a professional Matthew A.
I have personally cleaned over 10,000 windows. I've owned my own window cleaning company for over 4 years in Hawaii where sun, salt, hard water and dust are rampant. I've heard of almost every single household solution. And some of them may come close to being perfect; all are far from it. To clean a window perfectly:
Do not use ammonia, it stinks, it can burn your skin, and it will leave bleach stains on your carpet if you spill it. Do not use Windex and paper towels. Do not use newspaper. Some people swear by it, but in my professional opinion it is substandard. Step one - buy the right solution. Buy "Glisten" solution, it will literally make your windows sparkle. Next buy a decent squeegee. You'll only need one handle with two different sizes. Get 3 lint free towels, a washing bar (T-bar covered in cloth), razor blade holder, and a bag of steel wool #0000.
Wet your washing bar. Wet the window thoroughly. If your windows do not have a coating on them, take out your razor blade (make sure you have a new blade, change it daily, and sometimes 2x a day if your doing a lot of windows). Place the blade on the glass and go in one direction. If you hear anything -stop. You do not have to do the whole window, only where there is paint over-spray, sap, etc. Then wet the window again, and place your squeegee on the top and with light pressure applied, move downward. Take your squeegee and dry the end that will touch the dry glass. Apply second stroke, etc. When you are done with the squeegee, take your second cloth and wipe the edges where the water collects. Then take out your steel wool. (People will balk at this suggestion but #0000 steel wool will not hurt any uncoated window) Use your steel wool and touch up any remaining spots. Keep the wool dry or it is useless. Your window will now be spotless. Take some time and some practice, and you may just open up your own window washing business.

here is more
Acid-based Cleaners -- These are widely used by detailers, car dealers and car washes who need to clean wheels in the shortest possible time or with the least amount of effort. Acid-based cleaners are typically 2% solutions of oxalic, phosphoric, and hydrochloric acid. Eagle One All Finish Wheel Cleaner is an example of an acid-based cleaner. While acid-based cleaners pack the greatest cleaning punch they can easily etch the surface of your wheel if allowed to dry. Care must be taken not to use acid cleaners on wheels with pitted or chipped surfaces. The acid will migrate into any fissures and accentuate flaking and peeling of surface coatings.

Acid-free Cleaners -- These are mild solutions of alkaline solvent, usually ethylene glycol, with a wetting agent. These solutions creep under the dirt and brake dust, loosening and lifting surface grime. Non-acidic cleaners usually require some surface agitation (brush or sponge) but are safer to use and will not etch the wheel's finish. P21S is the best known 100% acid-free wheel cleaner. Acid-free wheel cleaners range in strength from mild (P21S), to moderate (P21S Gel), to professional strength (Eimann Fabrik Hi-Intensity).

Hope this helps

92zcamaroperson
12-07-2005, 08:29 AM
Yeah the little felt window stripping on my car kinda smears my tint a little when it goes up and down. But it just wipes off. That reminds me i need to get some new window motors.....

Add your comment to this topic!