Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Olds Ciera

ImportBuilder
11-29-2005, 12:17 AM
K, so I have a 96 Oldsmobile Ciera. I work @ Best Buy, so I get discounts on anything I can get in-store. The system is all stock, except I bought some Pioneer 6x9's for the rear. I already have most of my system picked out. Here's what I'm gonna get.
2 Alpine Type-R 12's
Power Acoustik 1920W Amp (Can't get it from work :( Gettin it wholesale tho)
Alpine CDA-9847
Alpine iPod interface
Rockford 4GA wiring kit
Ported Box(es)
The only thing I'm not sure are on is front speakers. My dash has 3 in. rounds, and they're terrible. I'd like to avoid cutting up the door panels, or at the very least, being able to buy grill sor something for when I sell the car and take everything out. What do you guys think I should do?
Also, I wanna be able to take my iPod Mini in n out of the car easily but I want it to be pretty stealthy when it's in the car. I was thinking of mounting the iPod int he glove box. What do ya guys think?

Basically, what speakers do you guys suggest, and where should I mount them/my iPod Mini?

Thanks a bunch.

highteknology
11-29-2005, 02:41 PM
i'm not really sure on the speakers, i would maybe look into a nice comp set in kick panels. that way you don't have to cut up your door. and im not real sure on what kind of quality you would get from a 3" inch speaker.

as far as mounting the ipod. the glove compartment would be pretty slick. i also saw a custom job on the web somewhere where the ipod would fit in the ash tray and that's where you connected it, to the interface for the deck. i thought that was cool too.

ImportBuilder
11-29-2005, 06:23 PM
I wanted to use the ash tray really bad, since my iPod fits in there almost prefectly. Too bad my mom is a smoker and she drives the car fairly often.

ImportBuilder
11-29-2005, 11:47 PM
New question...Which amp should I get? I'm not sure if this (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6319646&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03085&id=1075583127239) amp would power two of these (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7057383&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03081&id=1108124880979)very well. Any help? I'll be running two type-r 12's in either a sealed or ported box. Sealed, more than likely.

highteknology
11-30-2005, 01:14 AM
that sux about the ash tray. i would probably go with the glove compartment then, build a sick little compartment for the ipod to make sure it doesn't get damaged. and find a way to lock it so no one steals it. when i bought my deck i wanted to make sure i could hook up my mp3 player but then thought people would steal it. i bought a deck that can have an mp3 hook up but it also plays mp3 cd. i fit about 170 songs a cd. plenty of music for the driving around town i do.

how are you going to run the subs?

you can either run them to a 4 ohm or 1 ohm. based on that amp i would run them in 1 ohm to get the most power. if you were to run them in a 4 ohm setup they would only be getting 370, where as in the 1 ohm they get around 400 or so.

are you limiting your purchases just to stuff at best buy? i know you get a discount which probably influences you a little bit, but you may be able to find some deals online for other stuff.

dantheman8328
11-30-2005, 08:04 PM
well, if your getting the typers from best buy, they only sell the 4ohm+4ohm subs, and if you get two of them you can only wire them at 4ohms or 1ohms. im not sure how much you would get that amp for at best buy, im guessing like 200, but you could get the hifonics tx1505d mono amp for the same price at etronics.com(i was very very happy with their service and price). the amp runs 1500wrms at 1ohm(a little overrated) and from everythign ive heard they should easily handle 700w a piece for a daily driving application.

i recently just bought the hifonics amp and have to say that im very pleased with it so far along with the etronics service(i was weary of buying online since i got ripped off by ebay last time), but im also getting two 12in 4ohm dvc type rs with my friends best buy hookup. ive been looking at what subs and amp combination to get for a long time, and ive finally determined that this will be my best setup. i would highly reccommend this amp and subs as they are the best subs you can get for the price for sq and spl...and the amp is a great price for the watts.

if you decide against this amp or setup, i would also definitly recommend that you find an amp that is 1 ohm stable so that you can run these subs with more power for much less.

i hope this helps your decision. if you have any questions on the details or anythign please ask.

dantheman8328
11-30-2005, 08:08 PM
oh yea, ive also heard that the subs run much better in a ported box than a sealed application.
i was originally going to go with the sealed box but decided agaisnt it, if you want to maintain sound quality and play the low notes the subs are capable of, then i would get a ported enclosure tuned low to about 28 or so hz.

highteknology
11-30-2005, 09:12 PM
yeah, you definately want to make sure your amp is 1 ohm stable. depending on what you want, either an SPL or SQ setup will determine your box. SPL you want ported, and SQ you want sealed. i'm not sure about the performance of a driver in a sealed versus ported, and dan the man might be right that they perform better in a ported. i'm running my sub in a sealed just because i built the box and wasn't sure on how to tune it. plus i'm more an SQ guy.

ImportBuilder
12-01-2005, 12:37 AM
I can get Power Acoustik stuff from a wholesale place up north. Their amps are nice as hell. I don't really wanna mess with ordering stuff off the internet. I'd want it ASAP. With computer stuff, I can wait, but not for anything else. My friend has the Power Acoustik amp I mentioned running two RF P3's. They have 500W RMS, so I know the amp will run the Type-R's.

highteknology
12-01-2005, 10:24 AM
the amp may be able to power the subs, but in all the looking around i have done, i don't see that it is 1 ohm stable. that is what you would want it to be. it's not goin to produce as much power being run at 4 ohm.

ImportBuilder
12-03-2005, 06:21 PM
My friend has 2 P3's on the same amp, and they hit hard as hell. Not sure how they're wired, but they sound good. They hit hard, they don't clip or bottom out or anything. One time, however, we were driving with the system up really loud, when it was in his moms car, and the amp fuse blew. No shorts or anything...Would this be a sympton of it being unstable?

dantheman8328
12-04-2005, 05:09 PM
what was the amp wired at, how many ohms? this is a good question if anyone has had this happen.

but i decided i think im actually going to build a sealed box for now for the type rs and just try it out first since i want to spend alot of time building a nice ported box, but time that i dont have right now. but ill let you know how they sound it it. but yea i havent ever heard anyone say that the type rs sound better in a sealed box, ive heard that for both sq and spl you should go ported, and for sq just tune it really low.

Add your comment to this topic!