Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Several Small Problems

Alibi
11-28-2005, 10:40 PM
Hello All. I recently bought a '89 PA with 180K for $525. It looks like it was granny-ied and garaged for most of it's life, but was stolen, recovered, and sold at insurance auction.

As an older car, it has several small problems that I can't seem to track down myself.

First are the locks. The car didn't come with a key to open the doors so I was wondering if it were feasible to have a locksmith make a key just from the tumblers?

Second, the drivers seat back (electric, but i assume all were) wont come up all the way. It seems to be at around a 60* angle when the passenger seat will come up to almost a full 90*. Any thoughts on why? I've never messed with electric seats before so I don't know if the motor is worn or off track somehow.

Third, the clip that latches the fuel door is broken. I can't think of a way to get one off at a junkyard without breaking it since the door is electric. Is there a way to fabricate a new clip? Or is it available online anywhere?

Ok, that is all the flaws I've found so far. I appreciate any feedback.

-Eric

Cntrysthbst
11-29-2005, 04:51 AM
First - locksmith might not be a bad ideal if you want to avoid alot of hassle with replacing the lock cylinders, I believe on those year cars the lock cylinder in attached with a clip, its simple but a hassle to remove the door panel etc., plus the plastic that is glued to the door never whats to stick again and sometimes you have to replace that because it doesn't always come off easy! Best bet - locksmith!

Second - Did you check the wire harness under the seat? There are a couple under there. Try pushing the power seat button and stick your head down there and listen, if you hear the motor and its not doing anything it might be worn out - if no noise try to figure out which motors are working and which one doesn't, then unplug the conn. to motor and volt meter it to see if its getting power, if its not getting power, your switch is bad and/or wiring is bad, trace it back to the switch, if it is getting power and motor dont work, I would replace the motor, its easier to do that removing the seat.

Third - I believe the fuel door latch is connected to the solinod - all one piece, you should be able to remove the whole thing at a junk yard and just swap it out, I'm not 100% sure on that one cause I never had to replace the latch on my 1989 I used to own, now I do believe there is a cable from the solinod to the latch, it might be broken, access through the truck to replace it.

Hope this helps and ask all ya need too! Hopefully others reply because I'm not 100% sure on the latch! Enjoy! :smokin:

wrightz28
11-29-2005, 09:14 AM
The fuel door pins on these are faulty. I made my own catch pin 6 years ago and it's held just fine. Dosen't quite shut flush to the body, but atleast it stays closed and locked.

Alibi
11-30-2005, 06:48 PM
Ok, those suggestions sound good. I thought that refurbing the pin wouldn't be hard so that is nice to know.

As far as the seat back goes, it still moves up and down so the motor still works, it just doesn't come up al the way. Any more info on that?

Anyway, a couple more flaws have been discovered lately.

The car has several wierd start problems. Sometimes she'll start up just fine, other times it has to be jumped to start it. Today I cranked on the starter for about 10 seconds, waited a minute, and then it started right up on the next try. Other times it will only start after it has cranked a few times.

I thought that it was a battery problem at first, but I swapped out the batteries with a spare I've had laying around. The alternator appears new but I've got a spare one of those too so I'm planning on swapping those out as well. Also, my Dynaride pump is disconnected b/c it won't quit, but it has been disconnected for quite some time now.

In any case, if anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

wrightz28
12-01-2005, 09:33 AM
there are sepereate motors for the seperate directions under the seats, that one is either burnt out or, just maybe, disconnected?

Your cranking issue, you say it takes a few times before it will finally go? Could be a number of small things (fuel filter, foul plugs, etc) or could be something a little more major (injectors, weak spark, or first thing that jumped to my mind, poor oil pressure), might want to check that out.

Dynaride, what Buick doesn't have some issue with this? :lol:

imidazol97
12-01-2005, 09:39 AM
First are the locks. The car didn't come with a key to open the doors so I was wondering if it were feasible to have a locksmith make a key just from the tumblers?
-Eric

Are dealers able to check on the key code for the locks. If you provide proof of ownership, they should be able to cut a new key to the lock it shipped with.

Or they can tell you the original dealer that sold it. I know my dealer keeps records of purchases and has the key codes for cars they sold in case of lost keys.

Alibi
12-01-2005, 11:04 PM
Are dealers able to check on the key code for the locks. If you provide proof of ownership, they should be able to cut a new key to the lock it shipped with.

Or they can tell you the original dealer that sold it. I know my dealer keeps records of purchases and has the key codes for cars they sold in case of lost keys.

Really? That is rather fascinating. I may check into that if I can't find a locksmith to do it for cheaper. Awesome...

Well, I seemed to have gotten my crank issues to go away. I swapped batteries and the problems hasn't popped up since. It's been two days with no new crank problems. But plugs, wires, filters, 02 sensors are going on my x-mas list for the car.

Thanks guys.

wrightz28
12-02-2005, 09:22 AM
I swapped batteries and the problems hasn't popped up since. It's been two days with no new crank problems. .

Great, inexpensive fix nothing major, good catch :cheers:

Alibi
12-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Well, I've found a couple more little problems.

The horn doesn't seem to want to work either. I pulled off the cover and disconnected the electrical connection from the tab on the cover. I tried to touch the wire directly to the metal of the steering column but still no luck. I don't see a fuse for the horn either (unless i'm blind). Do these horns typically die at higher miles (like my 180k)?

Second, my driver's side door got banged up pretty good just before i bought the car. The electric mirror will go up and down fine, but it refuses to go side to side. I can hear a motor whining, but nothing happens. Is there some kind of cable on the inside of the mirror that could have been broken loose? Can this type of problem be fixed or would I be better off just getting a new one at a junkyard?

Another problem: my rear passenger door had been stuck shut for some time untill recently. I managed to push it open from the inside and I figured that it may have just been gummed up so i sprayed WD-40 in it to clear it up. Well...apparently the latch is broken on the inside because it wont latch or unlatch so with the wd-40 the door wont stay shut at all now (no gummed up crap to hold it to the knocker). I've got it held in by the seatbelts at the moment. Is this another junkyard part? Or is there some spring I dont know about in the latch itself.

I have a chiltons manual but It isn't very specific so I'm a bit at a loss for some of these smaller, cosmetic problems.

I appreciate all the help you guys have given and I hope to be of some help in the future.

Cntrysthbst
12-02-2005, 04:42 PM
the horn has a relay, may be bad, and or the ground for the horn.

mirror is your call, can't help you cause mine are different than yours, elec. mirrors are wire and gears, no cable,

on your seat if you have 2 motors that control your up and down I can't help you either because mine has only one, it spins clockwise and counterclockwise for up and down, also I had a quarter stuck in my track which kept it from going down all the way, may check track

is your door latch sticking? push your door button in while checking it and move it back and forth, it may be sticking and/or stuck in the wrong direction, like for exam. - my boys were playing with my latches and I couldn't shut any of my doors till I pushed the door handle in and put the latches back to that right postion. Is it adjusted prop?

I hope this helps, I went to junkyard the other day and saw an 89 and it is different in many ways compaired to mine, so this info may be misleading you, sorry bout that just trying to help! Anyways - good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!