Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Can't remove crankshaft pulley

warrenpeace
11-28-2005, 09:12 PM
The timing belt broke on my '85 camry (4 cyl. 2SE) I've got 90% of the parts removed but can't get the cranksahft pulley to hold still while I turn the nut. Tried the screwdriver/breaker bar thing and just got a bent screwdriver. I then tried putting a bolt through the hole and using that thinking it would be sturdier than the screwdriver. That resulted in a broken off bolt which I will have to drill out later. Any advice on what will hold the pulley that will work? If the pulley itself can be easily replaced, should I just demolish it in the process?

Brian R.
11-28-2005, 09:25 PM
Put a breaker bar and an extension firmly on the bolt with the extension sitting on the floor toward the front of the car pointing dead straight ahead.

Pull the distributor high tension wire so it won't start (if it might) and just snick the ignition switch to start for a really short time. The starter turning the crank will break the bolt loose. If you split the socket instead of turning the bolt, buy an impact socket and try again.

Toysrme
11-28-2005, 11:49 PM
Honestly the only way I've ever found to work 100% at stopping rotation if you have to is take the valve covers off. Toyota camshafts are keyed in a hex shape @ some point on them so you can put a huge wrench on them & turn them. If you put a wrench on it them turn the cam until the wrench binds against the head - it won't move - unless you can break 1/2" of aluminum (or iron).

I'm with Brian as that's exactly what I'd do. Take a 1/2" drive wratchet, or breaker bar. Wedge it on the ground. Remove EFI, or spark (however) & tap the starter.

Daniel M. Dreifus
11-29-2005, 11:54 AM
This is not the low cost answer, but does work well.
$99 - 5 gallon air compressor from Kragen
600 ft. lb. chrome air gun "Pit Boss" from Harbor Freight.
Actually, this was for the axle nut when replacing the axle. For my '94 - 4 cyl. crank pulley, a $50 electric impact gun worked, but sounds like yours is stuck.
Here's a pointer, get a puller also. When I removed the crank pulley I could see where a prior mechanic had chipped the edges prying it loose. Should take 6mm bolts for the puller.

lsj1655
11-29-2005, 09:27 PM
and dont try and demolish the pulley either. you can buy another one easy enough from toyota, that is if you have $250 - $300 dollars to throw away.

stick with the impact wrench and a puller- it'll work.

warrenpeace
11-30-2005, 06:35 AM
Your idea had a lot of promise. Unfortunately, it didn't work. The thing just made a couple of thuds and is still stuck. Will try to aquire an impact wrench and see how it goes. Thanks anyway.

Put a breaker bar and an extension firmly on the bolt with the extension sitting on the floor toward the front of the car pointing dead straight ahead.

Pull the distributor high tension wire so it won't start (if it might) and just snick the ignition switch to start for a really short time. The starter turning the crank will break the bolt loose. If you split the socket instead of turning the bolt, buy an impact socket and try again.

Toysrme
11-30-2005, 10:06 AM
You're telling me that 1-2 horsepower, tons of torque motor geared down a few times couldn't turn your engine over?
What did you use?

vicchang
11-30-2005, 10:23 AM
I would suggest to use appropriate tools to hold the pulley. Ask a technician to see what kind of tool he uses. I would hold the pulley still and break the bolt loose by using either an impact wrench or a breaker bar (preferred). This way, the pulley will take all the torque load instead of letting the torque transmitted to other drivetrain/engine components like gears, camshaft, etc. which may got damaged.

warrenpeace
12-01-2005, 07:11 AM
Just like the guy said. I put a breaker bar on the nut and braced it against the ground. Hit the key and clunk - nothing happened. Several times. I gave up because I didn't want to burn out the starter.

You're telling me that 1-2 horsepower, tons of torque motor geared down a few times couldn't turn your engine over?
What did you use?

Daniel M. Dreifus
12-01-2005, 08:57 AM
If the breaker bar and starter didn't work, double check the direction of engine rotation and placement of the breaker bar - you may have it set to _tighten_ that bolt.

Add your comment to this topic!