Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'84 Rabbit GTI Heater Electrical Issue

Cerebral_mamba
11-28-2005, 12:45 AM
**I posted this same thread in GTI section and then realized most of the discussion there is of new Racing oriented GTIs. I apologize for this second post here, but I feel you folks may be able to help**

I recently purchased the '84 Rabbit GTI. The vehicle is a big mess and I was thinking of slowly shaping it up.

Anyway, my Heater Fan Motor only works intermittently. A mechanic here told me it was a problem with the switch and since I am here in Alaska, I figured, I would bypass the switch and give a direct connection such that every time I start my vehicle the Heater Fan blows full swing (and we need sure it here).

I unfastened the Heater Control, cut the 4 wires to the switch, but now, when I short the wires directly, its not working! The wires are

1. One Brown-Black wire, which shows a 12VDC supply.
2. A White wire (shows no voltage)
3. A Yelloy wire (shows no voltage)
4. A Yellow-Black wire (shows no voltage).

Does anyone know which are the wires I should short to get the Fan Motor to work?

Also, I have not yet found where the Fuse & Relay box is. The Manual says besides the Stearing wheel, but its not there on mine.

Please help as without Heater, I cannot take the Rabbit out at all. Thanks a million

poconoracing
03-12-2006, 11:35 AM
**I posted this same thread in GTI section and then realized most of the discussion there is of new Racing oriented GTIs. I apologize for this second post here, but I feel you folks may be able to help**

I recently purchased the '84 Rabbit GTI. The vehicle is a big mess and I was thinking of slowly shaping it up.

Anyway, my Heater Fan Motor only works intermittently. A mechanic here told me it was a problem with the switch and since I am here in Alaska, I figured, I would bypass the switch and give a direct connection such that every time I start my vehicle the Heater Fan blows full swing (and we need sure it here).

I unfastened the Heater Control, cut the 4 wires to the switch, but now, when I short the wires directly, its not working! The wires are

1. One Brown-Black wire, which shows a 12VDC supply.
2. A White wire (shows no voltage)
3. A Yelloy wire (shows no voltage)
4. A Yellow-Black wire (shows no voltage).

Does anyone know which are the wires I should short to get the Fan Motor to work?

Also, I have not yet found where the Fuse & Relay box is. The Manual says besides the Stearing wheel, but its not there on mine.

Please help as without Heater, I cannot take the Rabbit out at all. Thanks a million

I know this is an old post, but in case you never figured it out....

According to my wiring diagrams there is a resistor between the switch and the fan on all but high speed. This may be your problem. Follow the white wire from the switch and it should be on top/around the heater box behind the glove box. If you do want to bypass the heater switch you should connect the 16gauge brown/red wire (your 12+ above) and the yellow wire. The white and yellow/black are for the slower speeds.

Add your comment to this topic!