Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

rear clunking noise

Krono353
11-27-2005, 11:27 PM
My 94 GT has this new problem where when i first start going there is this odd clunking noise in the back, and sometimes when i shift to second it makes it when i pick up more speed. I took everything out of the trunk and still hear it. It's not totally constant but it's getting more and more frequent. Any ideas or questions?

Ridenour
11-28-2005, 02:56 PM
I would say either a bad wheel bearing / hub assembly, or a flat tire. If it's like a thumping / clunking sound that it makes everytime the wheel goes around, I would say either something's stuck in your tire, such as a nail, or your tires going flat. If it's more like a drone / roar that increases with speed, you have a bad bearing.

Hoags
11-28-2005, 10:56 PM
Check your muffler(s), My 96 GAGT had a similar problem and it turned out to be the baffles in the muffler. It would not do it all of the time but when it happened it sounded like there was in the trunk banging to get out. It also happened to be a new midas muffler, I had to live with it untill it made the noise when my wife was able to get it to the midas shop and they heard it for themselves. Once they heard it they replaced it under the warr. If it is not the muffler check the rest of the exhaust to make sure there are no hangers broken and the pipes are hitting the underbody.

Hope this helps.

Kristal
11-28-2005, 11:08 PM
You may also want to check your rear shocks. I had one loosen up a little after having new ones put on, made an awful noise.

Hoags
11-28-2005, 11:14 PM
Good point Kristal

Krono353
11-29-2005, 05:54 PM
Okay well awhile back i did have some exhaust work done but it was fine after that. The noise is a clunking that is one made when i start off in first gear and sometimes i can hear another thump after shifting into second and i pick up speed again. I also had new drums, hardware kit, shoes, and wheel cylinder put in on both sides because the rear brakes were real messed up. The shocks/or struts could be it, i was told it could be a strut mount. The whole rear end of the car is rusted pretty bad so it could be the struts. If it is the strut mount should i just get new struts put in too because of the rust? And is it possible that maybe the gas tank is loose or something? I had a new fuel pump put in about a month ago and they also put a new filler neck on the tank. Any other thoughts it could be? Oh and no the sound doesn't get louder the faster i go.

Hoags
11-30-2005, 03:17 AM
With all of that going on back there you may want to take it to a good repair shop and have them throw it up on their rack so you can get under the rear end and poke around. Chances are you will see something that is out of place or out of alignment. From there you can let us know what is going on and we may have some suggestions.

It may cost a couple of bucks to have a shop put it up in the air but in most cases they will do it for nothing in hopes of finding something that you will have them repair. In some cases it is better to have them make a repair, that way if it doesn't work right you can go back to them and have it repaired. Besides, spending a few bucks to get a good look at things can be money well spent, it can show you other things to look for down the road.

Good luck,
Dan

Krono353
11-30-2005, 09:51 AM
Alright well I think I will have it put on a lift, since I have a few ideas of things to look for now. And thank you all for you help.

Hoags
11-30-2005, 09:40 PM
No problem, that's why we're here. Let us know what you find out.

Dan

Krono353
01-22-2006, 04:23 PM
Had to bump it to update it. I had both rear strut mounts replaced. Still sounds crappy going over bumps on the passenger side. Clunking stopped for about a week maybe then came right back. But this time i thought about it maybe being the filler neck for the fuel tank. After the fuel pump failed and was replaced a new filler neck needed to be put in but didn't go straight to the tank. So the place "adapted" it so to speak. Filler neck goes down then goes to a rubber hose which is clamped and goes to the tank. The clamp i noticed was touching the part of the trunk where the spare is. So I just bungeed the hose off the trunk (it was loose and not really like stuck to the body or anything). The bungee goes the rear axle (if that's what it's called) and it has very little play with how loose it is. The clunk now is somewhat to a minimum BUT with the windows down and i listen real good it sounds like it's coming from the front of the car. What could that be? I'd guess a motor mount somewhere maybe. Or is it possible that maybe the clutch is going like the plates are hitting or something? Also the rear struts are lookin real shitty to say the least. The rust has just totally screwed them. The back end can be like jumped on and it doesn't bounce much. Actually when pushing down and the front of the car a lot to make it bounce it bounces more than the back. The back end doesn't really sag or anything which i think would happen if the struts blew out.

I've been as descriptive as i can be so hopefully someone can help me figure out what it is. Or maybe being up some possibilities.

Add your comment to this topic!