Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Overheating

Pnst84ever
11-27-2005, 06:54 PM
I had a coolant leak in my LIM. I got the LIM replaced today. The car still overheats and it seems to be because the fan won't turn on unless the AC is on. So I'm thinking it's either the temp sensor in the coolant tank or the relay. I sort of think the relay wouldn't work if the AC turns the fan on too, so really it's probably the temp sensor. Ok, so how hard is it to change the sensor, and bleed the system again? Could it be something else?

Kristal
11-28-2005, 11:05 PM
I just replaced my coolant temp sensor, It wasn't that hard. On my 92 V6, I had to pull the altenator off to get to the sensor, but it wasn't any trouble. I lost only a small amount of fluid during the switch also. Hope this helps!

Hoags
11-28-2005, 11:07 PM
I don't think it will be the sensor at the coolant tank, It sounds like it may be the temp sensor in the engine block. As for the fan comming on with the A/C it is designed to do that, the fan is wired so that when the A/C is activated the fan will cool the condenser, because of that I would say you can rule out a bad fan. The sensor at the coolant tank only tells you if the fluid level gets low.

If you let us know what year and size engine you have someone may be able to help with the coolant temp sensor location.

Pnst84ever
11-28-2005, 11:16 PM
I have a 2000 Grand am GT, V6, 3.4

Where is the Temp sensor on the block? How hard is that to change? Is it an autozone part or a delaer part?

Hoags
11-30-2005, 03:23 AM
I am not sure of the location but it is a part that AutoZone should have and they will most likely be able to get you the location.

Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!