Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

in the process of rebuilding

Camaro84
11-27-2005, 04:33 PM
hey. as some of you know i am rebuilding my engine i have tore everything down. and tomarrow i am taking it to a machine shop to get the heads, Cranks shaft And Block resurfaced and cleaned up. but now i am kinda confused about my rebuild kit. i am ordering it from sumitt and some of you may know it comes with new pistons. but i was told that you should use your old pistons. is this true and if it not what size piston should i get in the rebuild kit. thanks alot for any info.

skibum1111
11-27-2005, 05:10 PM
Anytime I've rebuilt a motor I've used new pistons, they usually come with the kit and you have to take them out anyway. If you are going to bore it then you absolutely have to use new pistons, when you order your kit tell them how much you bored it so you get the right size. Good luck, hope it comes out great.

supervisor1886
11-28-2005, 12:33 AM
You use old pistons if they are still good and within the specs. The ones from summit are probably better than stock. If you bore you cant use the old ones. They will bore to a standart size for rebults. Easy to pick the right pistons.

Genopsyde
11-28-2005, 02:04 AM
i think whoever told you that meant to say to use the original rods, not pistons.

Add your comment to this topic!