How can you tell if your exhaust pipe is clogged or not?

Ducaire
11-27-2005, 10:19 AM
Is there a way to tell if your exhaust pipe my be a little clogged (not a lot)? Whenever I give it the gas, it has this 'dirty' sound to it, and it seems to be coming from the right rear side of the truck. My truck also doesn't seem to want to go past more than 70 mph. (It slows down to 65- instantly when going up a hill). My pipe is curved, so I can't get a flashlight to look up in there and see.

Bads Crew
11-27-2005, 12:57 PM
I can't see the pipe being clogged but your cat could be causing the problem. In the past I have found that I had to tell the shop it was clogged because only you know your truck. You hear the different sound. I have found that you will feel the lose in power and if it totaly plugs up it won't run. New Cat or remove the cat. I have done both.

Ducaire
11-27-2005, 10:08 PM
You mean my catalitic converter? Actually, I had that replaced not too long ago because of a rattling noise it was making (not a dirty noise) whenever my truck was in idle. They said it would give me an increase in horsepower and gas mileage because it was clogging me up, and although the rattling noise has stopped, my gas mileage and power are just bad as ever. :(

bnrboy775
11-28-2005, 12:35 AM
not an expert... but maybe fuel filter... or air filter?? just and idea

Ducaire
11-28-2005, 10:11 PM
I had the fuel filter changed about 14'000 miles ago. A lot of those were highway miles, so it should be good to go for a while longer. I keep the air filter changed once every other or 2 oil changes, so I don't think it could be that either. :confused: Oh well, I'll figure something out. :)

crosscut
12-02-2005, 04:22 PM
If your catalytic converter was bad, you might have a loose baffle plate in the muffler that is restricting flow-through. I'd check that, too. Sometimes you can bang on the bottom of the muffler with your hand, and if you hear rattling or a sound like sand inside, it just might need replacing, too.

RahX
12-02-2005, 07:23 PM
its going to sound like all hell but run it w/out the O2 sensor in and see if that changes anything. thats the easiest way without going thru a lot of trouble.

Add your comment to this topic!