Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 sunfire braking problem

Tam30
11-27-2005, 06:43 AM
I found a post in this site about a 1999 sunfire braking problem. I have the exact same problem!!! Whenever it rains, or the road is a bit frosty (like today) sometimes my brakes catch a bit and make a whirring, clicking noise. They sort of slip, and I will go forward a bit. This concerns me, because it hasn't snowed yet. Does anyone know what's going on there?The brakes just seem to give out amd i slide forward on the road... I dunno.... This is my first post... glad to be here.
Tam

matt09524
11-28-2005, 01:06 PM
Traction control system? I don't know much about 200 and up, but below there is a traction control button on the shifter. If it is working on a dry day, then I would suspect it has something to do with the TCS.

homerr
11-29-2005, 07:53 AM
Just sounds like normal ABS braking to me. I know it scared me the first time I used them not ever having ABS brakes before.

Homerr

5SpdCavy
11-29-2005, 08:42 AM
i have the same problem only mine is when i hit the brakes hard. mine makes a clicking noise but it doesnt sound like its coming from the brake it sounds closer. could it be the master cylinder or just something loose.?

homerr
11-29-2005, 09:10 AM
Still sounds like normal ABS, well for Sunfires anyway.

Homerr

5SpdCavy
11-29-2005, 10:34 AM
srru bout that i have a 1998 sunfire

matt09524
11-29-2005, 12:23 PM
I have ABS on mine and I don't hear noises or anything like that. Everything seems normal.

homerr
11-29-2005, 12:34 PM
Oh really, mine vibrates the front of the car and has clicking noises. People told me that is normal for ABS brakes.

Homerr

TheGuyz
11-29-2005, 05:38 PM
I get that in winter, you will notice car will stop in increments, like small jerking( you can feel ABS going on /off through brake pedal ) but is normal for sunfires ABS system.

mike_05_sunfire
11-30-2005, 07:05 PM
Just sounds like normal ABS braking to me. I know it scared me the first time I used them not ever having ABS brakes before.

Homerr

I totally agree, same thing happened to me the first time i drove a car with ABS (was an 91 cav RS) freaked me right out!! :22yikes:

matt09524
12-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Oh really, mine vibrates the front of the car and has clicking noises. People told me that is normal for ABS brakes.

Homerr

I could be wrong, but I don't think mine does that. Then again, I can't remember that last time I was in a position for that to happen....

movin2stereo
12-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Yes abs freaks out like that.You can feel it in the pedal and hear it.Not to mention that you just went threw the stop sign you tried to stop at.:)

muff34
12-08-2005, 12:11 PM
I have been told that it is the abs and that they are over compensating for the rear brakes that are more than likely out of adjustment. I got this info from a GM garage, they have a cavalier that they use as a service unit and they have to set up rear brakes on occassion. I have a 2000 sunfire

Tam30
12-11-2005, 08:03 AM
Thanks for all your replies... I thought there might be a problem... we had snow 2 days ago, and car is REALLY hard to stop on just a tiny bit of ice/snow. Not like other cars I've had, and this morning, my abs and traction contol light came on, and they won't shut off. I still had brakes. crappy time for that to happen. Christmas coming soon, hopefully it's nothing expensive....

homerr
12-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Thanks for all your replies... I thought there might be a problem... we had snow 2 days ago, and car is REALLY hard to stop on just a tiny bit of ice/snow. Not like other cars I've had, and this morning, my abs and traction contol light came on, and they won't shut off. I still had brakes. crappy time for that to happen. Christmas coming soon, hopefully it's nothing expensive....

My T/C ,ABS and Service Soon lights also just started coming on. When I turn off the car, then back on, they stay out. Sometimes all day and sometimes a few minutes before they are back on again. Not sure what is going on, just had the car undercoated. any ideas?? Low front brakes ??

Homerr

5SpdCavy
12-16-2005, 08:56 AM
my abs light also does that but only every once in a while.

Tam30
12-20-2005, 02:25 PM
Ok, I figured out my problem!!! I had my snow tires put on lat week, and my mechanic went for a test drive. He said all it is is that my brakes are dirty in the back, and they need to be adjusted! woohoo! It was that simple. *yay*

Tam30
12-20-2005, 02:30 PM
I have been told that it is the abs and that they are over compensating for the rear brakes that are more than likely out of adjustment. I got this info from a GM garage, they have a cavalier that they use as a service unit and they have to set up rear brakes on occassion. I have a 2000 sunfire

Thanks, that was exactly it! :smile:

muff34
12-21-2005, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the positive feedback glad to know it worked for you . Guess I should get around to having done on my wife`s car ,as it is very annoying

mechkid
01-03-2006, 05:47 PM
your problem isnt a problem at all... its just your abs(antilock braking system) and when you slam on the brakes hard it will come on...
dont worry about it

Add your comment to this topic!