Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 Dodge Spirit speedometer not working

chubbygoatboy
11-26-2005, 09:44 PM
Anybody got any ideas on how to troubleshoot a speedometer not working on a 1990 Dodge Spirit? Is there a component that usually fails on these that would cause the speedo not to work? Any ideas are greatly appreciated!!

bernerfan
12-04-2005, 10:16 PM
Anybody got any ideas on how to troubleshoot a speedometer not working on a 1990 Dodge Spirit? Is there a component that usually fails on these that would cause the speedo not to work? Any ideas are greatly appreciated!!

Hi
Had exactly the same problem awile ago. In my case, it was the speed sensor on the transmission which had to be replaced. Probably the same situation for you. If the daytime running lights don't come on when you move the car a short distance, it's likely the speed sensor. Quick, simple job to replace. Cheers

chubbygoatboy
12-08-2005, 01:42 PM
THANKS!! It definitely was the speed sensor. About $40 and pretty darn easy to do. This one was on the trans housing, just above the right drive axle. One 10 mm bolt, and it is out!! The only problem was it took Advance two trys to get the right one, and when they got it, it had the little plastic gear retaining thingys broken. So I ended up at Autozone, whom I hate!! But they had it in stock!! THANKS AGAIN!!

hoosierdaddy30
03-08-2006, 06:06 PM
hey, i was wondering if your tachometer was working also. My tach, speedo, and radio doesnt work. This sucks. I've tested radio and it works when i plug it into me other dodge car. but doesnt work in mine. with the speedo and tach not working. no clue

ozzman87
03-13-2006, 12:58 PM
hey, i was wondering if your tachometer was working also. My tach, speedo, and radio doesnt work. This sucks. I've tested radio and it works when i plug it into me other dodge car. but doesnt work in mine. with the speedo and tach not working. no clue

have you checked all your relays and fuses. almost sounds like something electrical since all 3 of those thing are down.

Add your comment to this topic!