Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

RIP Richard Burns

hrmodeler
11-26-2005, 01:13 AM
It's very sad news. :uhoh:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,4-1892119,00.html

The TimesNovember 26, 2005
Burns loses long battle with disease
By Kevin Eason
http://images.thetimes.co.uk/images/trans.gifRICHARD BURNS, the 2001 world rally champion, died peacefully last night after a long illness. Just 35, Burns was one of the most gifted drivers of his generation and a combative rival to Colin McRae, Britain’s only other rallying world champion. His crowning glory came at the Rally of Great Britain when he became world champion on home turf at an event he had followed as a child. Unfortunately, the British round of the World Championship was to become part of his story in a way that his fans will not have wanted. On his way to the event in 2002, he passed out at the wheel of his car and was saved only by the quick thinking of Markko Märtin, a rival at the Ford team but a great friend, who wrenched the steering wheel from his grasp and guided their vehicle to safety. Burns was later diagnosed with a brain disease that did not respond to treatment. NI_MPU('middle');The man from Oxford leaves rallying in a bleak year after Michael Park, Märtin’s co-driver and one of the British ratpack of rallying that included Burns, was killed in September. Again, the Rally GB was at the centre of the sad events when Märtin’s car hit a tree in the Welsh forests and Park was killed outright.

gigglesnirt
11-26-2005, 01:17 AM
yes i saw before this post i made one in the off topic, he will be missed greatly.

RallyRaider
11-26-2005, 01:21 AM
:( Terrible, terrible news but unfortunatley not unexpected. RIP Burnsie. :(

ales
11-26-2005, 03:24 AM
So sad. I was hoping he'd make it, but that was not to be. May he rest in peace. :(

cinqster
11-26-2005, 06:04 AM
Saddened to hear that WRC winner Richard Burns died today.

What's particularly galling is that the news has been completely eclipsed by the demise of a man that choose to drink himself to death. :(

Sorry if I've put this in the wrong section but I had to get it off my chest.

lumpulus
11-26-2005, 06:30 AM
Um, How did he die, and who was the guy that drank himself to death?

Never mind I looked it up...how horrible.

mickbench
11-26-2005, 06:50 AM
I knew he wasn't a well man, sad loss. For those who want to read more about this and then post a tribute,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/world_rally/4472642.stm

And Best (60's footballer) was the man who drank himself to death. A great sportsman in his day, but enjoyed a champange lifestyle and ruined his health by drinking too much. Best was given a second chance in life and helped to ruin that as well, although the damage was done, so even if he hadn't hit the bottle again, Best wouldn't have lived much longer.

Burns was another great sportsman and shouldn't have been ill.. Sadly it wasn't to be.. Very sad day for rally fans. Sad loss. I've still got a Subaru WRC to build with his name on it, I'll still build it to remember him.

freakray
11-26-2005, 08:42 AM
Unbelievable....or should I say I don't want to believe it....

Since his illness stopped him driving I've been hoping to see him return.

I only hope he went peacefully, I'll forever remember this great driver.

pettercardoso
11-26-2005, 09:49 AM
Richard, we will all miss you...

blubaja
11-26-2005, 10:42 AM
:( Goodbye Burnsie:(

Spitfire7
11-26-2005, 10:55 AM
Very sad news. As a Englishman myself he was my favourite driver and I remember what a great moment it was when he became the first English World Champion in 2001. RIP Richard :frown:

gpz900ra7
11-26-2005, 02:28 PM
It's terrible news about Richard Burns passing away so young, he will be sadly missed by everybody who follows rallying, my heart felt sympathy goes out to his family.

Hiroboy
11-27-2005, 03:00 AM
He will be missed :(
What a crap year for the WRC.
At least he did something great with his life and gave enjoyment to others. More than most of us will ever do :)

joeyko2000
11-27-2005, 07:51 PM
Really sad about this.
I would definitely remember his races!

LOVE YOU BURNS~!

sjelic
11-28-2005, 01:13 AM
RIP Richard, realy sad :(

WRCfan
11-28-2005, 02:24 PM
RIP Burnsie, I feel so lucky to have seen you live in New Zealand 4-5 times. It's not until you have lost something that your realise how special it really was.

RIP Richard.

Regards
WRCfan

challange stradale
11-29-2005, 03:37 AM
It is really weird to be so upset for someone whom I never saw or met, but it really hurts to see somebody so young, so talented and so gentleman pass away.

What even hurts my heart more was most of the sport channels I watched have never mentioned this but football.

R.I.P. Hope to see you there one day, maybe ....

Whumbachumba
11-29-2005, 06:07 PM
Sad to see the man go. Loved him as a rally driver. Hope you have fun rallying it up with Jesus.

Add your comment to this topic!