Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Torque Master spark plugs... Do they work?

454Casull
05-31-2002, 10:01 PM
Link 1 (http://www.torquemaster.com/)
Link 2 (http://www.torquemaster.com/New%20Website/Technical%20Information.htm)

ivymike1031
06-01-2002, 11:26 AM
I'm sure they'll work just fine, if you want to ignite the mixture in your cylinders. I wouldn't expect to see a significant change in power vs any other spark plug that's working properly.

SaabJohan
06-02-2002, 08:27 AM
But in some cars they will probably not work, this depends on the ignition system.

sciguyjim
06-03-2002, 05:54 AM
I agree with the previous 2 posters. I would not expect any big difference between these and other plugs. Technically, all plugs work by "field effect" (electron emission by high voltage alone). This effect is enhanced by sharp edges which concentrate the electric field. I see no evidence of this in the photos, in fact, there appears to be fewer sharp edges than in ordinary plugs. I fail to see how they can be using such a large gap. Maybe the circular ground electrode has a very sharp inner edge.

Also, if everything is working perfectly, the spark has no effect on the power produced. It just ignites the fuel. The fuel and cylinder compression provides the power. What you want is a spark that has good exposure to the fuel mixture on all sides and which protrudes into the cylinder. For example, some plugs have the spark travel across the insulator. This effectively shields half of the spark's surface area from the fuel mixture. The advantage I see with these plugs is the long spark in the large gap. A long spark will be more efficient at igniting the fuel than a short spark. Unfortunately, I don't see how they can produce such a long spark.

Also, don't be fooled by the time lapse photos showing many sparks jumping the gap. The spark will jump once only per "fire" and it will jump at the easiest point such as where the gap is a little narrower or where there is a microscopic sharp protrusion.

P.S. Most companies are going to narrower ground electrodes for 2 reasons. 1. the lower thermal mass heats up faster to burn off deposits that form when the engine is cold and running rich. 2. To avoid shielding the spark from the fuel/air mixture. These plugs have the most massive ground electrodes of any plugs I've seen. Also there have been documented cases where the whole ground electrode piece has broken off the plug to rattle around inside the cylinder.

Add your comment to this topic!