Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

T-top problem

NYC32798
11-24-2005, 09:46 PM
I picked up a 95 Z28 not long ago and I tried to take the T-tops off for the first time today and I ran into a problem. On the passenger side, the handle to release the T-top is somehow broken. It moves freely but does not unlatch the top. It kind of feels like the handle might be stripped somewhere on the inside. Also the lock on it does not work. It will not turn at all with the key in it. Has anyone else had this problem? Even if I buy new T-tops, I don't know how the hell to get the one on there now off. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Matt365
11-25-2005, 12:47 AM
can u just pry the f'er off and buy a "new" latch from a wrecking yard?

NYC32798
11-25-2005, 05:10 PM
can u just pry the f'er off and buy a "new" latch from a wrecking yard?

I'm sure I could I just don't want to end up doing that and possibly end up breaking it then have to drive around looking at cracked plastic in my car.

skibum1111
11-25-2005, 05:24 PM
Take the handle off, there should be a screw in the middle of it. Also, along the plastic with the latch mechanism in it there should be 4 screws holding the whole mess together. It should pull down without too much difficulty. Once thats off you can see whats broken, either get one from a wreck or go see the crooks at the dealership, I doubt any parts stores are going to have anything like that.

Add your comment to this topic!