Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Conversion from 2wd to 4wd? $$

98_Classic
11-24-2005, 06:07 PM
How much would it cost to convert my 98' cherokee classic from a 2wd to a 4wd? It is an automatic. I realy wanna go off road with it but dont want to hurt it. The car has a very large amount of sentimental value so i realy dont wanna trade. Anyone know or even have an idea?
-R.J.

MagicRat
11-26-2005, 04:52 PM
It would cost lots.
Your best bet would be to find a 90's Cherokee with the same engine size and transmission, for parts.
Then get ready to swap over the following:
Transmission, transfer case, cross member, driveshafts, front axle, (with brakes, springs and shocks) center console and floor plate, and install the transfer case shifter and vacuum 4wd engagement system.

IMO its cheaper and easier to get a 4wd Cherokee for off -road use and keep the 2wd Jeep as-is for on road use.

Also, you can get a limited slip differential and really good off road tires for the 2wd Jeep. You would be surprised how far you can get in 2 wd.

If you are concerned with getting stuck, get a winch for the front (a good idea even with a 4wd). There are many winch installation kits out there.

dimefury
11-26-2005, 05:18 PM
It would cost lots.
IMO its cheaper and easier to get a 4wd Cherokee for off -road use and keep the 2wd Jeep as-is for on road use.

:iagree:

you could probably buy a second cherokee that is allready 4wd and keep your 2wd, for close to what you will end up spending doing the conversion.

2 trucks > 1 truck

you could probably get a 4wd one for pretty cheap if you were willing to accept some dents and scratches. if your plan is to off-road it, who cares about the looks?

having a beater/fun vehicle and a daily driver kicks ass!

Add your comment to this topic!