97 JGC Slow to Shift from 2-3 when cold

jtavares
11-24-2005, 03:25 PM
My Jeep hesitates and the rpm's go quite high when I first drive my vehicle in the morning. It seems to have the most problems between 2nd and 3rd and shifts fine once the vehicle warms up. We've checked the transmission fluid and there seems to be plenty. Please tell me it's not the transmission going, I don't have an extra $2000. :o(

Jennifer

JDPascal
11-26-2005, 04:12 PM
Hi Jennifer

My 96 was doing the same thing. Things have improved by changing the ATF to the new Chrysler ATF +4 fluid. I did not flush the transmission but did partial changes 3 or 4 times.

Adjusting the bands did not improve the shifts but it would not hurt to have that done when the pan is removed during the first oil change. Have it done at a dealer or an HONEST transmission shop. Don't tell them there is a shift problem as they may try and leverage you into a transmission job that you may not need. Just say that you heard that it might be a good thing to do while the pan was off.

At the same time, ask them to install a drain plug in the transmission pan so the next oil changes can be done with less hastle like an engine oil change.

There is a throttle cable that can be adjusted. It also affects the 2-3 shift.

There are a couple of other "minor" things that will affect the 2-3 shift but I haven't had time to investigate them.

The major problem is the forward clutch seal leaking but only go there after all the other things have been eliminated or fixed and there is still a bad shift.

JD

grendelendel
12-10-2005, 10:42 PM
yea my 96 GC limited does the same thing. If you get your transmission fluid changed wait a week or 2 with driving for it to stop. mine reved up into the 5000 to 6000 rpm before changing gear too so changing the fluid help. not a full fluid change just a drain and fill. but if you start your car like 5 minutes earlier before using it then the problem should reduce. it helps the oil get to the transmission before you use it. you might still feel a jerk when switch to 2 to 3 but it wont rev up.

McCann
12-11-2005, 10:20 AM
Hi All,

Go to this thread and read through it as it talks about the same problems and a few different solutions.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=319446

I have driven our Jeep as recently as last night with the engine at about 20 degrees at start up and the solutions I describe there still work a year later.

The last post to that thread was December 8th which I think is about a page or so ahead of this thread. It was started last year by jarch.

Mike

ps. My solution is described in depth there in about 5 or 6 replies in the post and only cost $150. Some of the solutions cost a lot more...but I liked mine better $$ wise. Mike

melonman
12-11-2005, 06:27 PM
Hi All,

Go to this thread and read through it as it talks about the same problems and a few different solutions.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=319446

I have driven our Jeep as recently as last night with the engine at about 20 degrees at start up and the solutions I describe there still work a year later.

The last post to that thread was December 8th which I think is about a page or so ahead of this thread. It was started last year by jarch.

Mike

ps. My solution is described in depth there in about 5 or 6 replies in the post and only cost $150. Some of the solutions cost a lot more...but I liked mine better $$ wise. Mike

I just have recently been experiencing this "slip" between 2-3 shifts. I am glad that I am now seeing some posts about others having same problem. I just was looking b4 thanksgiving and couldn't find any other people having similiar problems. I had fluid flush and filter and (with the thought that if it needs rebuild-it can hurt it worse) some Lucas tranny fix additive added (1qt). It did not seem to help too much after only a few days and minimal driving-I took it to trans shop to have bands and Throttle cable adj. They dropped pan and changed out 5 qts and filter and adj. bands and throttle cable. It still seems to be happening only not quite as frequently or severe. I hope that the additive has not already done too much damage by swelling the seals. My hope is that it should be more diluted hence, less effect on seals. I wish I had checked into it as I am told that it might help for a month or two but it will probably be trash shortly thereafter. I am crossing my fingers-I will just have to wait and see what happens.

Add your comment to this topic!