Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New type of speaker?

Beast22k
11-24-2005, 01:31 PM
Hello, I was wondering if anybody could help me out. I was hanging out with my friend the other day and we got to talking about speakers and what not and he mentioned that he had seen some crazy speakers on tv a long ass time ago that were real crazy. According to what he said, you take a piece of plexiglass or something like that and you stick this thing on it and it turns the plexiglass into a speaker. He was not entirely sure that what he said was completely accurate but that was what he gathered from watching the end of the show. If anybody has any idea what he might have been talking about would you let me know what it is. Thanks.

CBFryman
11-24-2005, 05:53 PM
there are things like bass shakers that can turn any flat/stiff material into a speaker by simply vibrateing it.

Mannyb18b
11-25-2005, 03:44 PM
Ya, CBFRY uses bass shakers in his truck instead of real audio equipment.

CBFryman
11-25-2005, 08:26 PM
:evillol: oh you know it. :evillol:

:rofl:

But truely Bass Shakers are great for home audio for low end reenforcement since good drivers capeable of 15Hz extension are very expensive in most cases and consume lots of power (for home set ups) and since bass below 30Hz is mostly tactile bass shakers are a cheap alternative...but you have to be sitting in that chair that has that bass shaker to get the effect...so they arent such a great idea for entertaining geusts and amazing them with your tactile bass output.

:sly:

PaulD
11-26-2005, 05:39 PM
I would think that making plexiglas vibrate would reslult in a lot of rattling

Jet-Lee
11-28-2005, 10:59 AM
But truely Bass Shakers are great for home audio for low end reenforcement since good drivers capeable of 15Hz extension are very expensive in most cases and consume lots of power (for home set ups) and since bass below 30Hz is mostly tactile bass shakers are a cheap alternative...but you have to be sitting in that chair that has that bass shaker to get the effect...so they arent such a great idea for entertaining geusts and amazing them with your tactile bass output.
Just put one under each foot of each couch/chair/sofa/etc. Then everyone get's to feel it.

CBFryman
11-28-2005, 12:21 PM
at $100 /pair...for 2 sovas that is $400...and yo usitll need an amp. for that i can make a GREAT subwoofer.

Jet-Lee
11-28-2005, 12:46 PM
ebay's your friend.....
http://electronics.search.ebay.com/Bass-Shaker_Consumer-Electronics_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR8QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ 3QQfstypeZ1QQsacatZ293

lol

Add your comment to this topic!