Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

hesitation at 50-60 mph on 99 tahoe

drd14580
11-24-2005, 12:14 PM
My 1999 Tahoe has a hesitation or jerk beginning at about 50 miles per hour. It will periodically occurs up until about 65 miles per hour. It does not occur before 50 or after 65. The truck has just under 97,000 miles on it and the plugs, wires, and fuel filter have been changed. Someone suggested it might be the transfer case, but the problem did not occur until I had the radiator replaced about 1000 miles ago. Any suggestions?

negativegeez
12-26-2005, 07:26 PM
My 1999 Tahoe has a hesitation or jerk beginning at about 50 miles per hour. It will periodically occurs up until about 65 miles per hour. It does not occur before 50 or after 65. The truck has just under 97,000 miles on it and the plugs, wires, and fuel filter have been changed. Someone suggested it might be the transfer case, but the problem did not occur until I had the radiator replaced about 1000 miles ago. Any suggestions?

Man, I wish somebody had the answer for you . . . because I've got exactly the same problem with my 99 Tahoe. I took it to be some variety of misfire, but the dealer checked everything out, replaced the catalytic converter, and I had the same problem right away. I can't take time off work to run the truck back into the shop over and over, so I've just had to live with it for now.

The possible red herring is that the indicator lights on my transfer case buttons won't stay lit. The "hesitation or jerk" seems worse when in 2WD. I switched to AWD and it seemed to be better, but not entirely gone. This made me wonder if the transfer case was going. In AWD at very low (parking lot) speeds, I can't make a sharp turn without it sounding like the drive train is being pried off the bottom of the truck.

170,000 highway miles, had hoped for a lot more, but I can't hit the long haul road if I can't depend on the vehicle.

Any thoughts would be helpful. BTW, a woman called CarTalk a couple of weeks ago and seemed to describe the same "hesitation or jerk" problem (possibly referring to her husband). The Tappet Bros. said it could be a hairline crack in the ignition coil. Sound reasonable to anyone?

TRANSFORMDEZIGN
02-09-2006, 12:07 PM
When my tahoe was doing that, I got a can of seafoam deep creep and took off the egr valve (on the side of the manifold. 2 little bolts) stuck a little screwdriver in. unstuck the valve. sprayed in the seafoam in as a rinse.And it hasn't bucked since.

2000CAYukon
02-09-2006, 02:01 PM
The jerking could be a torque converter clutch (tcc) lockup problem. Tap the brake pedal (enough to make the brake lights come on but not enough to slow you down) when the jerking starts. If the jerking stops, it is most likely the tcc circuits in the valve body.

//2000CAYukon

Vince1057
03-22-2007, 06:05 PM
How do you fix this, if it is the tcc circuits in the valve body? Do you need the transmition re built, or can the circuit be replaced?

2000CAYukon
03-22-2007, 06:58 PM
How do you fix this, if it is the tcc circuits in the valve body? Do you need the transmition re built, or can the circuit be replaced?

If the problem is the TCC circuit, then the valve body can be removed and repaired with tranny in the truck.

http://www.transmissionspecialty.com/parts/parts/77754-COMBO.htm
http://www.transmissionspecialty.com/parts/parts/77805.htm

//2000CAYukon

Jeremy-WI
03-24-2007, 07:03 AM
What motor(s) are these? 5.7 or 5.3

Vince1057
03-25-2007, 12:16 PM
I have the 4.8l in my Tahoe. I had my drive shafts looked at. The mechanic does not believe the u joints are the problem. He believes it is torque converter shutter. The transmission is shifting perfectly. I'm going to wait till something gives before spending any$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Vince1057
03-25-2007, 12:18 PM
2000CAYukon had the right idea. When the mechanic test drove my truck he did the tap on the breaks to see if the torque converter was locking up. The vibration stopped when he did this.

Add your comment to this topic!