Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

painting taillights?

speedphreak
11-24-2005, 07:19 AM
whats the best way to go about painting tail lights? What clear paint do you guys use for this? Brush by hand? Airbrush? Thanks in advance for your help!

-Chris

sjelic
11-24-2005, 07:27 AM
Tamiya clear or Revell clear (orange is very bad but red can do), I paint them free hand (with brush) and then clearcoat with spray.

Lambo003
11-24-2005, 07:39 AM
I use a combination of clear paints such as Tamiya's and permanent markers.

Clear paint naturally wants to pull away from sharp edges and raised detail. Using a permanent marker prior to paint will hide this and in some cases you may find you won't even need to use paint . . .

~EDIT~
I should have been more specific with the details . . . I Paint only the back of the clear parts with Tamiya paint and the front with matching permanent marker. This avoids build up of paint and fingerprints that clear paints are susceptible to. Very rarely do I apply Bare Metal foil directly to the clear part though. I usually apply this to the area the clear part will cover.

whats the best way to go about painting tail lights? What clear paint do you guys use for this? Brush by hand? Airbrush? Thanks in advance for your help!

-Chris

klutz_100
11-24-2005, 08:58 AM
Same as Sjelic. I also add a bit of Bare Metal Foil from behind to make it a bit more reflective.

Vric
11-24-2005, 09:22 AM
Tamiya Clear paint then I use Bare Metal foil inside to give the reflective look.

KTem
11-24-2005, 09:33 AM
I also do it as above, with Tamiya clear paint. The paint goes on the inside of the clear piece.

speedphreak
11-24-2005, 10:06 AM
Thanks guys! Ill give that tech. a go.

-Chris

mickbench
11-24-2005, 10:08 AM
I also do it as above, with Tamiya clear paint. The paint goes on the inside of the clear piece.

Pretty much how I do it. Pretty easy, even easier if the kit supplies them pre done, as some of the newer Tamiya and Revell kits are now starting to supply.

willimo
11-24-2005, 12:38 PM
Another good trick is to use a black permanant marker along the edge of the clear part, this will hide the silvery edge that appears if you don't do it, and kind of simulates the plastic/rubber seal around the real thing.

BJ3113
11-24-2005, 01:51 PM
I use Red and Orange Sharpie Makers easier to control

Add your comment to this topic!