Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

CSC on clear & chrome part?

Apexi_N1
11-23-2005, 10:44 PM
Did search but couldn't come up with the answer. I would like to remove some paint on the windows/wheels, would CSC demage the finishing on those clear/chrome parts?

Sorry if it has been covered before, pls point me to the right direction.

thanks.
CS

FranKey
11-23-2005, 10:59 PM
i stripped chrome with no problem with Csc but i doubt clear parts would survive... try with a spare piece maybe?

Apexi_N1
11-23-2005, 11:03 PM
i stripped chrome with no problem with Csc but i doubt clear parts would survive... try with a spare piece maybe?

so the chrome actually came off? (damn, would've been nice to if the chrome stay on the wheel! :( )

daklunk
11-24-2005, 01:02 AM
Yeah, CSC will strip both the chrome and clear primer coat off in about 15-20 minutes, a little longer for different types of paint. Not sure about clear... CSC is can be either a blessing or a curse in my experience.....

Your best bet would probably be to test a piece you don't care about and see how it fares. Some of the other members no doubt have solutions for you. Good luck.

Lambo003
11-24-2005, 01:39 AM
Yeah, I'd play it safe and NOT use any type of stripper on the windows. Best probably to use a rubbing compound and work the paint off clear parts. However, I have stripped Tamiya paint from clear parts before using rubbing alcohol with pretty good results. The parts were usually left cloudy afterwards but, a good plastic polish like Novus will bring it back to new. . .

As far as getting paint off chrome though, I think you're pretty well screwed there. Any attempt to remove paint from this surface will only ruin it.

so the chrome actually came off? (damn, would've been nice to if the chrome stay on the wheel! :( )

gionc
11-24-2005, 02:51 AM
I succesfully clean my '250 california windshield (mistake: drop of liquid cement, clear melted, went white insthead clear) simply polishing it: I start with abt. 4000 grit, then 8000, after that I glossy-up scratches with compounds: before all a coarse compoud (essebiemme) and then 3 step Tamy compound

before
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/gionc/cali.jpg
after
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/gionc/shield.jpg
not perfect but better I think

ZoomZoomMX-5
11-24-2005, 07:20 AM
I don't use CSC; but I have heard that it tends to be safe to use on kit glass (don't use it on diecast or resin); I'd try to carefully sand/polish the paint off unless it's really thick. The same method to wetsand/polish paint works to repair kit glass, if you're careful.

If it's acrylic paint you can remove it with Windex or rubbing alcohol.

As for chrome; whatever will strip that paint will strip the chrome. Unless the paint is acrylic where you might get away w/using rubbing alcohol or Windex. No guarantees though, but worth a try.

Add your comment to this topic!